Which version of XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike V

Baseband Member
Hey everyone.

I am considering upgrading to Windows XP and was wondering how the Home edition and the Pro edition differ?

My system is getting old and I am running a 400Mhz Celeron with 256MB so I believe I am marginally able to use XP.

I can't afford to build a new system at this time so I am stuck with staying with Win98SE that I have now or upgrading to XP.

Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

It really depends on how you're going to use it. Everything XP Home has, Pro has plus more. If you want to have very specific administrative control on the user system, or you use your computer as an FTP server, or even use your system on large network, you might want Pro. Pro is supposed to be more flexable with networking, while Home seems to only have tools for home networking. XP Home is still very functional, and depending on what you need you can get away with paying less. Considering performance, I've never seen much of a difference. On the system you're planning on using it for, both of them might have a few performance problems, but you should get on fine.

Give us a few more specific details about what you expect out of an OS (what you plan on using it for, what features you need, etc)to get a fully straight answer.

Both editions of XP share the exact same kernel, which is nothing more than a modified Win 2000 kernel. The only difference between Home/Pro, is that Pro has more advanced features, better overall security, and better networking capabilities. I'm sure you can surmise the network/security benefits of Pro, but some of the advanced features resident in Pro; built in backup utility, multiple monitor support (I believe up to 9 monitors), file system encryption, dynamic disks, and of course the useful group policy editor.

If you want details directly from Big ol' Bill, click below

http://microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

:beard: :cool:

Isn't it true that home cannot use dual processors and pro can..... I have pro and wanna get dual processors, maybe.

Randy said:
Isn't it true that home cannot use dual processors and pro can..... I have pro and wanna get dual processors, maybe.

Ok...I'm getting slightly off topic here...but doesn't P4 Hyperthreading have an effect similar to dual processing? Then again...that wouldn't matter if you're an AMD person :) .

I don't really see a difference between XP Home and Pro except that theres better security on Pro!

I got Professional Edition but I uninstalled it and Installed Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition which has MAJOR Security!

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the replies everyone.

qiranworms,

I am basically just using it as a standard OS for home use with no thoughts of making my system a server, network, or anything really like that.

How much better is XP over the Win98SE I am now running?

I am about ready to do a reformat now since Win98SE has some problems with shutting down, booting, etc and was told that my CAB files are probably damaged. I was told that this is common with Win98SE and that I should upgrade to XP.

Do you concur with this?

Thanks

Mike

I say apsolutly - do a upgrade to XP! Windows XP has some very cool things you can do with it, and is definitly more reliable then Windows 98!

I hate the Blue Screens of Death.... ewwwwww. Those things, they are so mean. They like only kill ur system when u r right in the middle of something important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom