Veritas Netbackup vs Backup Exec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin34

Beta member
I'm using Backup Exec 9.1 right now and I'm pleased with it for the most part. I was able to budget more money to either upgrade to version 10, or go with something else. After a few conference calls with vendors and those "in the know," we decided to go with Netbackup 6 (well, my boss thought it was the best solution).

After purchasing then spending a month futzing around with this complicated piece of software - oh, and a $15,000 pricetag ta boot- I've come to the conclusion that Netbackup is WAY too advanced for what we need. Right now, we have one main file server and a handful of other systems with a total backup capacity at 425GB. We just run a full backup each night onto SDLTII tapes (nearing capacity). We purchased a Dell Powervault that holds 16 LTO3 tapes - more than enough I'd say :)

Anyway, we're in the process of returing Netbackup 6 and going with Backup Exec 10. I've read all the info I can on both applications, heard reviews from other consultants who despise Netbackup and question why we purchased it, whereas obviously the people selling it love it and steered us right into it (Dell).

So - anyone have experience with these products?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom