VBScript if button pressed...then - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default VBScript if button pressed...then

how would I do something like this

MsgBox"do you like pie?", 1, "Question"
*******something would go here to make it do this if "yes" is pressed: MsgBox"pie is good"

and something like this:MsgBox"why not?" if no is pressed

I know this is possible, but I can't get it to work also, can you do the same thing with InputBox?

"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

whole story here: http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/21...-microsoft-put
Old 12-06-2006, 09:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well, you could do a button, txt entry, whatever. really depends. easiest is say one button was pushed it would be somethng like

msgbox ("blah blah blah")
end sub

or for text box you could have seomthing like
'we will say we called you texty box info

option explicit

DIM valhold as string

valhold=val.info.txt

if valhold = ("yes") then
msgbox "blah blah blah"
else
msgbox "blah blah blah"
end if

end sub

You could also add some error checking, like to make sure a value is only yes or no, if it is something else then you present another msgbox stating to only enter yes or no. I may be off on some of my entries there, haven't used vb in awhile and its hard to without the editor auto entering/checking stuff for me.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 12-07-2006, 05:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

sorry, I meant if there was a box with yes or no (or any two buttons actually) and if the person clicks one, I know that the script can give a return value. is there a way to say if there is a certain return value, to do something?
"Naming them would either make it clear that Linux is not infringing at all (which is quite possible, especially if the patents are bad), or would make it possible to avoid infringing by coding around whatever silly thing they claim,"

"So the whole 'We have a list and we're not telling you' should tell you something. Don't you think that if Microsoft actually had some really foolproof patent, they'd just tell us and go, 'nyaah, nyaah, nyaah!'?"

Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

well, you could do a nested if then statement, but the best thing to do instead of that is do a case select. Just create a global variable that takes the value of the text box and assigns it to said variable, then create a select case that performs an action according to what the value is.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 12-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

alright, thanks, I was able to get it to work with msgbox, but with the inputbox it would be different. is there still a way to make it so if you press a button with the inputbox depending on the button you click, the response will be different?

Old 12-10-2006, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yes, you would need a global (I think its called that) variable that puts whatever is in the input box into a string. This would be globaly available. Its not called global variable and cant remember what it is called but essentially, it is available via all subs.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 12-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all just 1s and 0s

Send a message via MSN to office politics

vbscript reference

msgbox - http://www.devguru.com/technologies/vbscript/13955.asp

inputbox - http://www.devguru.com/technologies/vbscript/13933.asp

Closed Thread