Vaio formatted, cant connect to internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

DontStealMyFish

Baseband Member
I recently formatted my firends old sony vaio pc to reinstall her windows 98SE, installing 98 was no prob, but it wont recognize and use her ethernet card. i opened it up and got the make and model of the card (Dlink DFE-538tx) got drivers for it form the site, it came in a package that had a program to run and install the drivers. but the program comes up as a blank window with jsut the title. i did some research on her comp and found out some of its hardware, i wasnt sure if maybe it was some kind of video problem or whatnot, but the video chipset is the intel 810. the model of the vaio is PCV-R553DS. any ideas on how to fix it, i feel bad cuz its like its my fault. before i did all this she had viruses out the rear, and spyware and it was pretty much a worthless slow pos. now its faster but it cant do anything. id appreciate any help, thanx.

ask her if she kept the restore CD that came with the laptop. Also check out sony.com and see if you can order a restore CD for it or see if they have driver downloads that you can get for that specific model.

DontStealMyFish said:
I recently formatted my firends old sony vaio pc to reinstall her windows 98SE, installing 98 was no prob, but it wont recognize and use her ethernet card. i opened it up and got the make and model of the card (Dlink DFE-538tx) got drivers for it form the site, it came in a package that had a program to run and install the drivers. but the program comes up as a blank window with jsut the title. i did some research on her comp and found out some of its hardware, i wasnt sure if maybe it was some kind of video problem or whatnot, but the video chipset is the intel 810. the model of the vaio is PCV-R553DS. any ideas on how to fix it, i feel bad cuz its like its my fault. before i did all this she had viruses out the rear, and spyware and it was pretty much a worthless slow pos. now its faster but it cant do anything. id appreciate any help, thanx.

Did you run the hardware wizard and if it detected a communication port, direct it to the driver program that you have?
not the exe, but the drivers

i checked sony.com and they have some drivers but not all of em are for 98se, someare, but its still kind of hard. about the recovery disc, no after i formated it i asked her if she had it and she didnt know where it was. so i could restore it. i havent tried the hardware wizard once i got the drivers form dlink. however i was walking her thorugh some steps on the phoneand got 98 to recognize the ethernet card. i think she said its listed as dlink ethernet adapter. but it has the yellow exclamation mark. i might have to go back over and try to do things myself, i just wanted to have some ideas to try if im going to drive 40 minutes to fix a computer.

DontStealMyFish said:
i checked sony.com and they have some drivers but not all of em are for 98se, someare, but its still kind of hard. about the recovery disc, no after i formated it i asked her if she had it and she didnt know where it was. so i could restore it. i havent tried the hardware wizard once i got the drivers form dlink. however i was walking her thorugh some steps on the phoneand got 98 to recognize the ethernet card. i think she said its listed as dlink ethernet adapter. but it has the yellow exclamation mark. i might have to go back over and try to do things myself, i just wanted to have some ideas to try if im going to drive 40 minutes to fix a computer.

can't help you with the drive, reinstall the drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom