Utilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Arbib

In Runtime
XPPro/SP2 on 2 drives "C" and"D"

There are a number of utilities that I have looked at such as
ErrorDoctor, PCBugDoctor, ErrorNuker, PConPoint, NoAdware, and Aluria software.

1. I get constently different answers with only Aluria showing no errors or spyware.

2. All of them scan both drives and cause problems, in particular to Desktop icons, on the drive on which the program is not installed

I have asked each supplier to ensure that scans are confined to the drive on which the software is installed - so far I've got nowhere.

Anyone have any ideas or views, please?

Why? HijackThis will get a lot of details, but it does not answer
why so much variation in responses nor does it help in finding a way of excluding scans on drives other than the one on which the software is installed.

What kind of problems with icons? You might want to investigate XCleaner: http://xblock.com/ This program cleans and inspects only the Primary master. I have Aluria too but have not had any problems with it. It would be nice to know exactly the problem you are having.

The problems were that many of the software items showed no errors on the drive on which they were installed but up to 27 on the opposite drive.

Many of these items, when deleted, caused the loss of desktop icons for many programs which could only be retrieved by re-installing the programs.

In fact one previously that did this was PCPowerScan and Intrigue Learning were able to tell me how to prevent scanning alternative drives.

I have emailed all of the program makers but so far have had scant response.

I will look at your suggestion and see if it is OK in this respect,
and will add my comment later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom