Using Windows 8 in Virtualbox

GLaDOS

In Runtime
Hello all,

I have been wrestling with this problem off and on for several weeks now and I am in need of some assistance.

I was hoping to try out Windows 8 in Virtualbox. I downloaded the 32-bit iso file and set up the machine in Virtualbox. When I went to load the iso file under Settings > Storage I am presented with the following error:

Failed to open the CD/DVD image /home/davey/Documents/Virtual OS images/Windows8-ReleasePreview-32bit-English.iso.

Could not get the storage format of the medium '/home/davey/Documents/Virtual OS images/Windows8-ReleasePreview-32bit-English.iso' (VERR_NOT_SUPPORTED).

Result Code: VBOX_E_IPRT_ERROR (0x80BB0005)
Component: Medium
Interface: IMedium {53f9cc0c-e0fd-40a5-a404-a7a5272082cd}
Callee: IVirtualBox {c28be65f-1a8f-43b4-81f1-eb60cb516e66}

Interestingly, when I run the 64-bit iso on my 32-bit host I am able to boot up the machine but then it crashes during start up (most likely because of the incomputable architecture). Any assistance with this would really be appreciated. I have become quite frustrated with this.

Thanks!

I've tried reinstalling the VM several times and even tried redownloading the iso from Microsoft 2-3 times. I am still new to VMs and I'm not sure I know exactly how to verify the hash? I see a long string of numbers next to the file i get from microsoft.

Here's where I am getting my iso file from. I'm nearly positive I have the latest VirtualBox, but I will double check that now (I'm on a different machine)

Windows 8 Release Preview ISO formats

A moderator needs to approve my last post (I think b/c of the link). While I'm waiting, I am nearly positive I have the latest version of Virtualbox, but I'll check now (I'm on a different machine).

Depending on how long approval takes, I got the ISO image straight from Microsoft. I just went to google and searched Windows 8 iso and went to the first link that came up.

I am using Virtualbox 4.2 which appears to be the latest version.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom