using vista? read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mssssee,

You do not get it at all. No offense. You are far more secure using your PC from home than you are having everything stored online. You do know this right?

I mean i am behind a router, the router's firewall and my software firewall on my machine. That is 3 layers of security they have to hack thru to get even near my machine. Let alone trying to hack my password and get access to it.

Now if the stuff is online all they have to do is find a simple flaw with the code and execute somethign and BAM. They have full access.

YOU ARE FAR MORE SECURE USING A PC THAN HAVING EVERYTHING STORED ONLINE

You jsut dont seem to understand that online server are far easier to hack and gain control of then a PC with a OS. Yes networks will expand. But it will still not be reasonable to do this. AT all. Until you understand how easy it is to really hack a website and see how fast you can gain conrol of the CPanel of a site compared to trying to gain control of a PC that is constantly connected to the internet you will never know.

To think that a PC that is connected to the internet is just as insecure as a website that is hosted from a web server is completely wrong. Just ask Zedman. He got his server hacked and the Kudos bar information and everything else he had was taken within a day. Just gone.

Can you say that you have had all your data stolen in just a day. Everything gone from your PC? Didnt think so.

Online security is far more difficult when it is web hosting. There is ways thru java, sql, and so muhc more to attack a site. Compred to having to get thru routers, firewall and then trying to gain access thru some obsecure flaw in a application you hope they have installed.

Sorry but no. I have said it and i will keep saying it. Desktop OS's will not go out at all. It just wont happen. It is not resonable.

Not to mention to install a game you would have to have access to root files on the servers and so much more....yeah. Not happening.

Maybe another 30 or 40 years down the line. But i still doubt it.

Mssssee,

You do not get it at all. No offense. You are far more secure using your PC from home than you are having everything stored online. You do know this right?

I mean i am behind a router, the router's firewall and my software firewall on my machine. That is 3 layers of security they have to hack thru to get even near my machine. Let alone trying to hack my password and get access to it.

Now if the stuff is online all they have to do is find a simple flaw with the code and execute somethign and BAM. They have full access.

YOU ARE FAR MORE SECURE USING A PC THAN HAVING EVERYTHING STORED ONLINE

You jsut dont seem to understand that online server are far easier to hack and gain control of then a PC with a OS. Yes networks will expand. But it will still not be reasonable to do this. AT all. Until you understand how easy it is to really hack a website and see how fast you can gain conrol of the CPanel of a site compared to trying to gain control of a PC that is constantly connected to the internet you will never know.

To think that a PC that is connected to the internet is just as insecure as a website that is hosted from a web server is completely wrong. Just ask Zedman. He got his server hacked and the Kudos bar information and everything else he had was taken within a day. Just gone.

Can you say that you have had all your data stolen in just a day. Everything gone from your PC? Didnt think so.

Online security is far more difficult when it is web hosting. There is ways thru java, sql, and so muhc more to attack a site. Compred to having to get thru routers, firewall and then trying to gain access thru some obsecure flaw in a application you hope they have installed.

Sorry but no. I have said it and i will keep saying it. Desktop OS's will not go out at all. It just wont happen. It is not resonable.

Not to mention to install a game you would have to have access to root files on the servers and so much more....yeah. Not happening.

Maybe another 30 or 40 years down the line. But i still doubt it.

I agree with you on the problems you state both on its development and on the dangers that are faced with an online os. However an online OS won't be only online, you could still backup/ save data on hard drives and other media it won't be mandatory to save your data online, apps will be online so they will be free or with a small charge maybe yearly just like the antiviruses and you won't have to download loads of stuff to do your work. I bet they will make more secure servers in order to do this but even if it seems far it is close, at least that's what i believe. That's a main reason that they made IPV6 to have every machine online, from a pc/workstation/cell phone/tv to a fridge or a Coffe machine, so an online os won't be such a thing. The timeline you estimate is completely enormous. Just compare the differences between a current computer and a computer of 1960s/1970s the comparison is really insane not to mention about what networks existed at that time (arpanet), if they are planning it as a project it will happen soon or never.

I agree with you on the problems you state both on its development and on the dangers that are faced with an online os. However an online OS won't be only online, you could still backup/ save data on hard drives and other media it won't be mandatory to save your data online, apps will be online so they will be free or with a small charge maybe yearly just like the antiviruses and you won't have to download loads of stuff to do your work. I bet they will make more secure servers in order to do this but even if it seems far it is close, at least that's what i believe. That's a main reason that they made IPV6 to have every machine online, from a pc/workstation/cell phone/tv to a fridge or a Coffe machine, so an online os won't be such a thing. The timeline you estimate is completely enormous. Just compare the differences between a current computer and a computer of 1960s/1970s the comparison is really insane not to mention about what networks existed at that time (arpanet), if they are planning it as a project it will happen soon or never.
You still do not get what i am saying. I have seen current versions of a online OS. IT is not a new thing. It is already being done. But as i have said several times now and will not say again.

It can be hacked easily. The files are all on the server and can be easily messed with.

It does not matter if you store the data online or not. It does not matter what media is used. The plain and simple fact is this.

They can not secure a OS that is isolated. Windows, OS X and Linux are all vunerable and you have to make leaps and bounds to even access them.

How in the world do you think they could secure a OS hosted on a server? I know of several servers that are very well protected by firewalls and such. Even they have been hacked. Being online will only mean that the servers will go down. Quickly as well.

So it doesnt matter if you save the data to your PC as you wouldnt have a OS to use! Since the server would be hacked and you would not have access to your Profile to log in.

My whole point revolves around the fact that online security is far easier to get around. Every server has been hacked at one point. Even Microsoft's. So to say that they will come up with a measure to secure stuff online is just as much a pipe dream as saying that there will be a fully secure Desktop OS in 5 years.

It is not that hard to gain access to a server compared to gaining access to a Desktop PC. With a desktop you have to find a specific flaw while gaining access to a server is merely jsut fnding out what version of MySQL they use and hacking that. Or something similar.

You point is just about the data. Yes i said anyone with a brain would not host their personal data online cause it is stupid. I dont even have personal data on my PC. But i am not concerned about the data. I am concerned with the OS itself. Having one strictly based online is just not possilbe at this point in time. It is far easier to hack a web server than a desktop. Until they can figure out how to secure a server like they can a desktop. You will not find a hosted OS anywhere.

I hope i have explained it better this time. I really do not want to have to type this same stuff out yet again.

Online OS - First flaw not everyone will have access. Wotn happen.
2nd flaw security. Server are easier to attack then desktops.

Until those 2 major hurtles are overcome. A online OS will only be a pipe dream.

Even though we all know the impracticalities of an OS being internet based, it's obvious that things are headed that direction. Just look at the popularity of things like Google Apps, and Microsoft's push toward Windows Live and subscription based software. Personally, I think it's a crock of dung and I don't want anything to do with it.

I wish, too, that Linux would become more accepted and supported.

Sorry, but I am a dial up user, and there won't be high speed net here ANY TIME SOON, so it will take quite some time before any "online operating system" will be in my home, possibly another 30ish years. But yea, ANY code can be abused, I could care less if it is an online operating system that is stored on a server somewhere, that server and its own operating system can be compromised and would be an even bigger target than the individual PC.

Sorry, but I am a dial up user, and there won't be high speed net here ANY TIME SOON, so it will take quite some time before any "online operating system" will be in my home, possibly another 30ish years. But yea, ANY code can be abused, I could care less if it is an online operating system that is stored on a server somewhere, that server and its own operating system can be compromised and would be an even bigger target than the individual PC.
I guess they expect you to pay out the behind for satellite internet. :)

When we invent a time machine that goes back into the future and we all play 16 bit games.
Well, I don't want to get into a Linux vs Windows debate, but Linux is just as capable of running cutting edge games as Windows. It's just that the software companies don't develop very many native Linux games. But the tools are there if people would just use them. The Apricot Project is proving that with the game that they are about to complete called Yo Frankie!

You guys are forgetting some very vital important points.
1) Bandwidth is not free.
2) Whats the point?
3) How slow the OS would be atm

For one, whats the point of having an OS that's based on the internet? Sure there is the obvious fact that you will be able to access your files from any computer, but can't we do that already with filehosts?

What about speed? Do you know how much faster hard drives are compared to internet speed? When you put an entire operating system on the internet you are going to need a lot of bandwidth to be able to output/input enough information for it to work in a timely fashion.

Sure, your paying $100 for your "Windows WebOs" and $50 A month for your internet service. But you also have to pay money for the server that is actually hosting your files and constantly Uploading/downloading information for you to use. Think of how much bandwidth that that server would have to have. Bottom line.. you would not just pay a one time fee for your OS. You would pay a monthly fee. Nobody likes that.

Right now its not even plausible for anything like this to actually be utilized. There are webOS's already out there, but they are slow due to the tech we currently use.

In the future we will have faster much more bandwidth, but why would you ever want to put a OS on the internet that transmits 1TeraByte per second when your harddrive (or whatever it will be called) can transfer 1000 TeraBytes per second?

Security problems surely can be worked out, but there still is no reason (that I can think of) that would make this idea any useful/practical

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom