using vista? read this

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised by it. Like you, I figured they would have found it out long before now.

The only way to have a completely safe OS is to have it in complete isolation.

At least its harder to crack than OSX :p

After reading the article, the solution to the problem is dont use IE on vista.

I read on a greek tech forum that microsoft is slowly but surely going to stop making new versions of windows and create a new OS (just like the DOS days) which will be internet based.

yea, as long as your computer is linked to other computers something bad can happen...no matter what OS you use...it's all at risk

Okay furst this.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Okay not that that part is over.

The only thing that means anything in that whole article is this.

By taking advantage of the way that browsers, specifically Internet Explorer

Oksy so what if they do not use Internet Explorer? What if they use Internet Explorer 8? That is compoletely new code and not like 7.

As stated already this is all junk. Every OS is hackable. OS X was hacked in 2 minutes are Black Hat last year. Big whoop. There is artilces all around the net about all sorts of thigns.

mssssee2,

As long as there are gamers. There is NO way that they will ever eliminate OS's. Never. As the4 Gaming industry is bigger than Microsoft and if M$ leaves the OS marker you can bet the gaming developers will back somone else. Like Apple and you will see the Fall of Micrsoft.

I have read those articles about Midori. But simply put they are still talking about Windows 8. Which wont be out till 2012-2013 at the earliest. Who know where technology will be then.

Desktops and OS will never go out. As i have said if Microsoft backs out you can watch as a new desktop OS will become the dominate force.

Cheers,
Mak

What mmss is talking bout is the theoretical ideal that there will be a 'cloud' that you connect to on the internet for everything you need. Your OS, files, applications, everythign will be in this Internet cloud that you can access from any terminal in the world. PC Mag hit on this last month pretty hard so a lot of it is still fresh in my mind. While the idea was good, it will probably never become reality for a number of reasons. Some of which Mak has hit on, others being things like if you purchase a software app and that company goes out of business. Well if you don't have a physical application and it is just in this 'cloud' then you SOL, opposed to now if they go out of business my application still works. Another is bandwidth use and the ungodly amount of bandwidth that would be used to run all of this information from your computer to the next. Another is infrastructure... I mean we can't even get a city wide Wi-Fi plan to work. They just ditched that plan about half a year ago after putting millions into this project. Chicago was supposed to be the first city, but they can't get Internet on a large scale to work. My point with that being on something as small as 'city wide Wi-Fi' we fall on our faces, much less the idea of using EVERYTHING via the Internet on your computer.

If this isn't what you were talking about, sorry for the long exlination, but I think it is related either way. Desktop OS's will be here for a long time, and will IF ANYTHING just get more complicated. You run into two issues here, obviously w/ more 'features' an OS becomes more vunerable to security threats (we are talking millions of lines of code here). At the same time the only way to really make a system secure is to isolate it or make it extremely simplistic - neither of which will happen.

Okay i'm off my soap box.

As long as there are gamers. There is NO way that they will ever eliminate OS's. Never. As the4 Gaming industry is bigger than Microsoft and if M$ leaves the OS marker you can bet the gaming developers will back somone else. Like Apple and you will see the Fall of Micrsoft.

I have read those articles about Midori. But simply put they are still talking about Windows 8. Which wont be out till 2012-2013 at the earliest. Who know where technology will be then.

Desktops and OS will never go out. As i have said if Microsoft backs out you can watch as a new desktop OS will become the dominate force.

Cheers,
Mak

Their new OS called "midori" (codename) will be based on .net programming and will be backwards compartible to windows via vurtualization like the linux's whine, so i don't think that gaming industry will have problems on making games for Microsoft OS's. Yes it will be surely due after 2015 no matter what, it starts from scratch.

Yes Mssssee i know all that already. But the plain and simple fact is this.

It will not happen. Even by that time there will not be cable and fiber everywhere. There is no way to go with a fully Internet based OS. NO WAY.

How would a dial up user get their files? How would they load the OS? It would take at least a hour for them to even get a desktop.

You will not eliminate the desktop OS. I dont care what it is programmed off of. You can not run a OS from the Internet when Dial Up is still used on at least 30% of the popluation in parts of the world. Until Microsoft decides that they want to pay to get cable connections to the country parts of the USA and other parts of the world where cable is not.

A Internet based OS is a pipe dream. No matter how it is coded. End of story. It is not practical.

Yes Mssssee i know all that already. But the plain and simple fact is this.

It will not happen. Even by that time there will not be cable and fiber everywhere. There is no way to go with a fully Internet based OS. NO WAY.

How would a dial up user get their files? How would they load the OS? It would take at least a hour for them to even get a desktop.

You will not eliminate the desktop OS. I dont care what it is programmed off of. You can not run a OS from the Internet when Dial Up is still used on at least 30% of the popluation in parts of the world. Until Microsoft decides that they want to pay to get cable connections to the country parts of the USA and other parts of the world where cable is not.

A Internet based OS is a pipe dream. No matter how it is coded. End of story. It is not practical.
Agreed. Are you going to create a product that only a portion of your customer base can use? I doubt it. You are going to develope something that the most people can use. An example is Windows 7, in which they are going to have 'levels' of the application so that someone on the newest machine can use all of the functions, and someone on a P3 can still use, just not w/ all of the functions.

It just isn't good business, at least at this time. You aren't going to make something that negates almost half of your market base. LIke Mak said - it just isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom