using the repair function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moody

Solid State Member
I'm trying to help fix a father in laws computer. He some how got the blaster worm virus, and is having all kinds of problems. I think I can fix that, but now he is not even able to boot into windows(XP PRO). He gets an error and then it says to go fix it with the repair function. The error is windowssystem32config\system is corrupt or missing. I not sure how to fix this using the repair function from the CD. It puts me at a dos prompt, and I'm not sure where to go from there. Any help would be awsome.

I tried to look on Microsoft's site, but that's like looking for a needle in a hay stack.

The worst part about this is that I'm doing this over the phone so I have to spell everything out. That makes it 10 times as fun.

try doing the other repair..rather than the repair console....When you hit the first screen it should say something like press ENTER to install windows.. hit R to launch Repair console..etc etc...hit ENTER...it will display the aggreement you hit F8 to accept...then it will search for previous versions of Windows.. It will then find your copy and show Windows has dected the following path C:\windows exists on your machine..push R to repair this copy of windows or ESC to continue installing windows...push R and this will begin the recovery process and you will see it begin loading setup files and such..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom