Using Excel with Website Building Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

RickyB

Beta member
Hi there,

I am trying to find some Website Building Software (Such as Microsoft Expression Web, Dreamweaver, etc) which will allow me to incorporate date from a Microsoft Excel Document.

My situation is that I am hard coding a very large website using HTML and CSS. All the data and information for each web page is actually coming from the Spreadsheet. I've actually already done the website, and it's about 2,000 pages, with over 1,200 products. Now I am needing to update the products with new prices and reference codes etc, which will take me a VERY long time. The method I used to create the site originally was using a Mail Merge. I had an HTML template in Word, and was able to pull the information for each product and page out of the spreadsheet. I would then have to copy the HTML into MS Expression Web and save the page.

Now, I am looking for an easier solution. Something that will allow me to use the Spreadsheet in conjunction with the Website Software. So that once the pages have been set up using the different fields from the Excel Spreadsheet, I could just open up the page, change the information on the spreadsheet, and this would then effectively change the information automatically on the Web Page, which I could then re-save.

All a little complicated, I know. But I am not using a database for this website.

Thanks,

Ricky

the short answer is you can interact with the excel sheet just as you would a database through an odbc driver. The odbc driver has to be installed on the server; installs with MS Office. You'll need to apply special formatting to the excel sheet; define a name which will represent the database table. the named defined is the table name, the first row contains column names. I'll look for a how to later.

try searching dreamweaver odbc excel

You can also probably simply "save as web page" from excel. Then just insert that into the website.

Also, depending on how good you are with scripting or something like that, you could save the excel as a .CSV and then import that using a script of some sort (like a .BAT) which could load all the data into a Table (you know <table><tr><td>?)

You can also probably simply "save as web page" from excel. Then just insert that into the website.

Also, depending on how good you are with scripting or something like that, you could save the excel as a .CSV and then import that using a script of some sort (like a .BAT) which could load all the data into a Table (you know <table><tr><td>?)

That would probably be your best bet if you don't want to finagle something really fancy (and possibly complex). Especially if the excel data doesn't change too often

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom