Using discs on another computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk

Baseband Member
Hi,

I've been thinking about building a computer, and really didn't want to have to buy Windows and all. My current laptop came with the actual Windows XP disc - with the holographic top and OEM labeling. I was told that computer manufacturer recovery discs usually don't work, but would this one, being that I have the key and all? I also have the OEM Office XP discs, too, with the same "official" hologram top and the key. Wouldn't these be the same as purchasing the same OEM software?

Thanks for your advice.

If it's a hologrammed Windows disk, it's not a recovery disk for your machine, it's just a Windows disk.

It may or may not work (there might be a contract script on the disk for detecting your machine's hardware to force the disk to only run on the machine it was sold with; which is typical of OEM distribution disks).

You'll just have to try them out. You've got a 50-50 chance they'll work. One way companies like Dell and Gateway get Microsoft software so cheap, is that they go into a contract with Microsoft to distribute software under the agreement that the distribution is limited to those PC's.

I got them with my Hypersonic-PC laptop. Small company.... I don't know if they would have that sort of contract..... I know that they added to the price, a hundred or so for Office and and they take off a hundred if you don't want Windows installed.

Small PC companies can still issue OEM Windows OS's, but since they're small they just purchase OEM and then sell it again with the PC.

Larger companies, like Dell, have an actual contract with Microsoft that allows Dell to cut Windows CD's themselves, and not have to purchase through Microsoft and have them shipped.

Yea, since its a small company, you could probably install it. Dell though requires that you only use the CD with a Dell computer, and HP/Compaq doesn't even give you a Windows CD at all.

Selfish corporate computer companies!!!

*shakes fist*

My only concern now is that there are some scratches across the top of the CD, probably from rustling around in shipping. I hope it still works!

I also have the disc for Norton Antivirus. Yay.

Dell though requires that you only use the CD with a Dell computer.
This is a pretty standard idea in the world of marketing. I'm sure you can easily find lots of businesses and corporations that do the same thing. For instance, have you ever noticed that you aren't allowed to bring in your own beer to many football stadiums? This isn't just a safety thing (as it's sometimes presented). This is to make sure that you are forced to buy the stadium's beer. That's a little harsh, though...bars do the same thing because of their licenses. A lot of software sold with new PCs can only be used with that particular PC or piece of hardware. It's not just Windows software.

HP/Compaq doesn't even give you a Windows CD at all.
Interesting Factoid: HP doesn't issue a Windows CD, but instead puts the CD data on the PC's HDD. This is NOT a Windows restriction. Instead, this is HP grubbing up money by not having to produce CD's. Talk about cheap, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom