Using another computer's OS cd - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by bla!!
When you try to activate windows, you'll get an error message saying the CD key is already in use. There will be a phone number, give it a call and tell the person that you're transferring the OS onto a new system and that the old one will not be used any more.

They'll give you an authorization key.
I wish I was as lucky as you warez. I alway went this route. I did get 1 xp cd to activate 2 machine without calling though. that happened only once.

once you get authorization key, back up both system with something like drive image or ghost

Old 01-03-2006, 08:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Using another computer's OS cd

Quote:
Originally posted by newton
Just a stupid question.

If I built a computer and installed an empty hard drive, can I install Windows XP on it from a Windows XP disc supplied with another pre-built system? Would this work fine?
nope....nada....each computer needs it's own license

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz || 4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 RAM || GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard ||
PNY XLR8 GTX 470 || Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM HDD RAID0 || Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 01-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #13 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Re: Using another computer's OS cd

Quote:
Originally posted by mike4realz
nope....nada....each computer needs it's own license
where do you get this? alll you have to do is tell ms a good story and you can put the xp cd on 10 machine if you want
Old 01-03-2006, 06:01 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Re: Re: Using another computer's OS cd

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
where do you get this? alll you have to do is tell ms a good story and you can put the xp cd on 10 machine if you want
there is a way to install an xp cd to mulitiple computers but i didn't put that on how to do it on last post cuz it's illlegal. according to MicroCRAP, each computer needs its own license

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83Ghz || 4GB OCZ 1066 DDR2 RAM || GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard ||
PNY XLR8 GTX 470 || Raptor 300GB 10,000 RPM HDD RAID0 || Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Old 01-03-2006, 06:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

easy solution would be to find a volume license
Old 01-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Warez Monster
easy solution would be to find a volume license
true...that's the legal way but i still don't like the way of this licensing. it's all bul****. that's why Microsoft is making so much money out of it. now mcafee, norton, trend micro is doing it too. selling 3-5 license pack on their AV products.

Old 01-03-2006, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Using another computer's OS cd

Quote:
there is a way to install an xp cd to mulitiple computers but i didn't put that on how to do it on last post cuz it's illlegal. according to MicroCRAP, each computer needs its own license
these way is legal. I use ten computer as a example. I usually tell them that I changed the mobo, which is usually the case, anyway
Old 01-03-2006, 06:57 PM   #18 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Using another computer's OS cd

Quote:
Originally posted by EricB
these way is legal. I use ten computer as a example. I usually tell them that I changed the mobo, which is usually the case, anyway
it's not legal. it's also in their end-user license agreement that you click agree upon installing xp. but it's all good. everybody does illegal stuff @home.

Old 01-03-2006, 07:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Using another computer's OS cd

Quote:
it's not legal. it's also in their end-user license agreement that you click agree upon installing xp. but it's all good. everybody does illegal stuff @home.
read the agreement. you can tranfer this to another computer. mine say so. I can also put it on a laptop as a backup without buying another copy.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
Super Techie

oh transfering is legal but i was talkin about installing 1 copy of xp to different machines which is illegal. and you said that you install xp on your laptop as a backup? well i'm assuming that you'ved installed xp on your desktop and your laptop (backup) which is illegal but nobody is stopping you from doing that. you can do what ever the f*uck you want

Closed Thread