Using another computer's OS cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

newton

Baseband Member
Just a stupid question.

If I built a computer and installed an empty hard drive, can I install Windows XP on it from a Windows XP disc supplied with another pre-built system? Would this work fine?

You should have no problem with that but remember if it was pre built it may be an OEM disc.

bla!! said:
You will also need another CD-key, uless the pre-built system will not be used any more.

Yeah, pre-built system is going bye bye. Any way to "deactivate the OS" or something in the pre-built after I install it in my built system?

When you try to activate windows, you'll get an error message saying the CD key is already in use. There will be a phone number, give it a call and tell the person that you're transferring the OS onto a new system and that the old one will not be used any more.

They'll give you an authorization key.

bla!! said:
When you try to activate windows, you'll get an error message saying the CD key is already in use. There will be a phone number, give it a call and tell the person that you're transferring the OS onto a new system and that the old one will not be used any more.

Thanks for the help.

bla! I do not think that will work because it will apear as already activated. I'd use the phone method given above.

It will be already activated, but you may have issues with drivers if its a pre build image like from a HP or Compaq.

bla!! said:

I beleive this will only happen if the key has been activated 3 times or more. I have 3 XP Home os's installed in my house at the same time and it never gave me that error message until I reformatted and used the same key again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom