Users

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben.H

Baseband Member
Hi, 2 days ago i created a user for someone in my family, the user is called margaret. however yesterday, margaret disappeared from the welcome screen, the user accounts tool in control panel, and in the other user accounts tool (run > control userpasswords2). however i can double press ctrl alt delete at the welcome screen and still log on as margaret through that method. the user account still exists, because i cannot recreate the user, i get the "user already exists" message, and all of the files and settings remain for margaret. If i log on as margaret and go to the user accounts tool in control panel, then it displays margaret, however next to the name it says "guest account". I am using windows XP home edition, and really need help on this. Please could anyone help me, without saying that i need to to a disk wipe lol...
Thanks, Ben.

No it isnt that i've tried that and it still doesnt appear. The other users appear, Myself and Steve, however margaret does not.

Have you tried moving the files to a shared folder, then delete the account and remake it?

yes, the user and all the user files and preferences still exist, but the user does not show up on the user accounts tool, or on the welcome screen.
Any ideas what the problem is?

try some of these from http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_wel_screen.htm

Hide Users from the Welcome Screen

Start/Run/Regedit

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList.
Note: There is a space between Windows and NT.

Add the username you wish to hide as a DWORD value. Set the value to 0 (zero). This will prevent the user from showing up on the welcome screen. You will need to press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the logon screen to get the old Win2K logon, to be able to logon to the account you've hidden. Adding a username and setting the value to 1 will cause that user, such as Administrator, to show up on the Welcome screen as well.

TweakUI Option to Remove Users from the Welcome Screen:

About/Policy/Run Group Policy Editor/User Configuration/Administrative Templates/Start Menu and Taskbar/Remove User Name from Start Menu.

A User Account Does Not Appear in the User Accounts Tool or the Welcome Screen

An existing user account may not appear in the User Accounts tool in Control Panel, or on the Welcome screen. You may also receive the following error message when you attempt to create a new account:

The account already exists

This behavior occurs because you have disabled the account. Disabled user accounts do not appear in the User Accounts tool, or on the Welcome logon screen. You can only access these accounts in the Local Users and Groups snap-in.

To resolve this behavior, first determine whether an account is not active:

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
2. Expand the Local Users and Groups node.
3. Click Users.

If the user account is displayed with a red X through it, it has been disabled.

To enable the account:

1. Double click the account.
2. Click to clear the "Account is disabled" check box.

i cant delete the account becuase:
1. It doesnt appear on the control panel/ ANY user accounts tool
2. you cannot delete your own account, so i cant log on as margaret and delete it that way.

And yes the folder is there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom