User profiles gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LimeTrees

Beta member
Ok...

When one of our users logs in, the computer is loading up the default factory settings for new users (default wallpaper, theme, empty My Documents etcetc.) instead of their usual settings and documents.

Let's say the user is called Mike, and our computer is called "STUDY-PC".

When I look in C:\Documents and Settings I see (among the usual folders):

:right_arrow: Folder named Mike <- this contains all Mike's USUAL docs and settings

:right_arrow: Folder named Mike.STUDY-PC <- this appears to be what the computer is loading when Mike logs in, and it's basically empty- probably the default settings for a new user.

Now it seems to me that if I could just
rename the Mike folder to Mike.STUDY-PC (removing the current "Mike.STUDY-PC", which is empty anyway), the computer would load the correct settings on logon.

However... I am of course denied access if I try to do that!

So... I think probably some regedits are in order. Except I don't have a clue what to change!

Possible Causes? I don't really know... This change has come about since I reinstalled Spybot, and it looks like Spybot's resident scanner, TeaTimer, is coming up with loads of user-confirmation dialogs when the system changes the registry. I think someone might have clicked the wrong button (Accept/Decline) when one of them appeared...

Yeah... erm. Running XP Home.

Please help! Frustrating, you know? And if I've missed something obvious out, do ask :)

Isnt what that happens when they logon locally? Using the profile from Mike instead of Mike.Study.PC? Yes. They logged in locally and used that profile for the longest time and have it set the way they want and now log into the domain and want their profile. At least from what i gather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom