User Permissions - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default User Permissions

So I've been messing around with permissions on files and folders and I am quite annoyed. What i am trying to do is give a user permission to read a file, but unable to edit any permission or change ownership. (because if he change ownership to him, he can edit the permissions himself).

When I go into advanced permissions and deny "read permissions" for a user, great he can't edit any permissions, but now he can't even touch anything or read or open the file. When I allow "read permissions" and deny everything else, he can go into the permissions and change ownership to himself then edit all permissions? wth???!!

Is there a way to do this? so that the user can't hack in and change ownership to himself and edit all the permissions. Under advanced permissions, I see take ownership, and i deny it, but it doesn't matter if the user has "read permissions" he will be able to change ownership to himself. I'm so lost I've tried every combination!!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: User Permissions

If the User you are trying to create permissions for is on an Admin account, the only way to do it is through Group Policy Editor and set it up specifically for that user.

If it is over a Network, they cant change their permissions on your shared files. That can only be done on your machine via the Admin account.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

KSoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Lexluethar

As KSoD said, it's a moot point, if the user is an admin they can do whatever the hell they want. Either make them a standard user and edit the share permission OR implement GPO share permissions.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:53 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Oh okay thanks guys, I'll test it out today, I didn't realize it would be different if i were admin because I have myself set with administrator rights through windows sbs 2011 standard.

Tags
permissions