user folder in Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I just have a couple questions about the user folder on Vista. Since I've heard the best way to move the folder is to use the unattended command before install to state you want it on a different drive.

1. If I had to reinstall windows and tell Windows to again use the different location will it overwrite everything thats in there?

2. Is there a easy way to move that folder to a second drive after install. I've tried some different things including registry edits but everytime I do I can access the files but I can't add new things. Like in IE7 I can open favorites but when trying to add new ones it says unspecified error.

Basically I just don't want my user folder on the same drive as windows incase I have to format the drive. If I'm leaving to much info out just say so, thanks.

Hello,

Yes and No.

Those fodlers are not that easy to move. If you are worried about your personal data. Store that on a different drive to always have it but leave the fodlers where they are. No one said you had to use the Picture or Music folder provided by Windows. I dont. I have a whole drive for both music and pics.

Trying to do what you want will actually cause you more trouble. Cause using a password wil then cause the fodler to be only used by that profile. If you go to reinstall and try to access them you will get the error that you do not have permission.

You will then have to take ownership of the files which can be a hassle.

Cheers,
Mak

Thanks guys, I combined both your responses and finally got it working. I had tried things very similar to what DoubleHelix posted but those instructions were better. Then I just had to mess with the ownership settings and it finally works great.

The favorites folder is the only one I care about because I usually don't use the others. But I was very upset when I lost all my favorites after a format. I thought they were moved when I move the documents folder, but they weren't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom