User Accounts -- OK To Delete ? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Content Team
Send a message via Yahoo to mrlewp
Default User Accounts -- OK To Delete ?

Googled how to stop Log-On screen for WXP, which began following removal of "LogMeIn" app.
One site (unknown to me now), offered 4 steps to take, the 3rd which involved deleting all folders under "Doc-Settings", OTHER THAN the folder (or folders) which you know to be valid users. In my case , "OWNER" is the name I chose when 1st setting up WinXP Home.
Is this safe? Other folders found there are "Default User", "Local Service","All Users", and "Network Service".
The site said to first save any data from the folders you considered important. In the past I have noticed that some of my START menu items that I added would end up in "All Users" instead of "Owner". I can just check to see that all shortcuts are duplicated in my "Owner" folder.....but can I really get rid of all the other folders??
I dont know what the purpose of the Network and Local Service folders is, so I'm not sure about this step.!
I got rid of the log-on screen using just steps 1,2,and 4 of the instructions, by the way.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Chillin Techie
Default Re: User Accounts -- OK To Delete ?

what are you doing and why are you doing it?

The Ultimate Hard Drive Utility PowerMax 4.23. (It now has the ability to clean a Boot Sector virus on the quick erase option.)
The best browser Netscape 8
Have you accidently delete something? Look here (trial. the better one) and here(free)
Old 09-14-2007, 12:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Re: User Accounts -- OK To Delete ?

If you just want the log on screen to be disabled and th windos Xp to go irectly into Desktop with out any prompt asking you to select User name try below steps.

Start -> Run... -> control userpasswords2

Uncheck the "Users must enter a username and password to use this computer" checkbox. Enter the username and password to be used for the login, and press OK, OK.

If you want welcome screen go to Control Panel >> User accounts
Select the way users log on and log off and Check the option for welcome screen and fast user Switching. this will bring the Welcome scren back
Closed Thread