User account problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobo_man

In Runtime
Hi,
I'm using Windows XP Professional and I have 3 accounts on this computer. One of the accounts hasn't been used for about 3 weeks and today when I logged into it, everything was messed up. First of all, the desktop background is gone, replaced with a blue screen. If I right-click on the desktop to properties and attempt to change the background, nothing happens. The start menu is also blank now. Normally, there are programs along the left side but now it's all blank. One time, I clicked in the blank spot and Internet Explorers kept opening....and before I knew it, I had 30 internet explorers running at the same time. I attempted to pin some programs to the start menu, but nothing happened. I'm using IE7 and I tried to get the menu bar displayed, but when I click on it, nothing happens. My homepage has changed as well and when I tried to change it to another one, it won't save. Also, the minimize, restore, and close buttons are REALLY SMALL. I would say they're probably the size of the stem of the mouse pointer and I can't seem to change it.

I'm currently running a virus scan with Nod32 and I already checked for spyware. I'm not sure about the other account on this computer, but I know this one I'm currently on is working fine. I'm pretty sure that deleting that account and creating a new one will fix the problem, but I have alot of important documents on that account and I want to save myself some trouble if possible. What can I do?

use transfer files and settings wizard to backup your files

start | programs | accessories | system tools | transfer files and settings wizard

select old computer
click next
select other
click browse
select which folder that you wish to backup to
click ok
click next
select files only

this is where i stop, follow the instructions on the screen from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom