useless question #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitze105

Daemon Poster
hello again, and welcome back!
i was just wondering something. How come my slave drive, that has been formatted, has system files on it? There is no O/S on it.. so i don't get why i need system files on it. Any explanation? (i get that windows puts some there to read the hard drive but not half a gig worth)
thanx

never had to hook up a slave... o btw... we open for saturday?? cuz i DO want to get the slave done then or aorund there.... that hd probly has SO many virus's/spyware/ad-ware/trojans.... its gunna be funny as hell when we go thru it all :D

that is if were still up for sat.

No idea, but i really don't see why a slave thats formatted has system files on it.. any ideas all?

maybe theres just some really imortant file that cant be deleted on a harddrive... i have no idea

If you have those same 3 system files folders on your main drive which should be program files, windows and documents and settings, go ahead and delete it. You will be fine

Oh, so like my documents and things like that get coppied to the extra drive? odd.. but cool

whats the names of the files? it could be a page file. MS states that its better to put your page file on a drive that doesn't have the OS on it.

from http://www.theeldergeek.com/locating_the_page_file.htm

In spite of the name 'virtual memory' the paging file is really just a chunk of reserved hard drive space where data may be written and retrieved as needed. Since the paging file and operating system files are by default located on the same drive, concurrent access to both locations is impossible. One or the other has to wait, slowing down overall system performance. What can you do to minimize the delay? If your system only has one hard drive the best option is to pack the motherboard with as much RAM as possible to minimize paging file accesses.

If the operating system has more than one hard drive, place the paging file on a drive which does not contain the operating system files. A step up from placing the paging file on a separate drive is to place it on a dedicated drive. Even if you don't have a drive to dedicate solely to the paging file, placing it on a different drive that contains files which are not accessed frequently will help the performance issue.

If more than two hard drives are available, the paging file can be split among different drives. The more drives that are available to split the paging file across, the better the performance increase. Even though it's outside the scope of this article, paging files should not be placed on fault-tolerant drives because of the way data is written to them. It looks like 'the more paging files the better' corollary is applicable, and to a point that is true, with one major exception. Do not place more than one paging file on multiple partitions on a single physical hard disk. Performance will decrease because the drive heads perform sequential accesses to different locations on the drive rather than pulling the information from one contiguous location.

Finally, the temptation is always great when you have a RAM packed machine to totally eliminate the page file. Don't do it. By design, some components in Windows XP require the presence of a page file, even if they never use it for its intended purpose. You'll likely receive out of memory type errors if you eliminate all page files. Feel free to set the page file to the required minimum (2MB) if you have sufficient RAM, secure in the knowledge that XP won't access the page file unless it's absolutely needed, but again - don't eliminate it totally.

I will lower that then, but it says system files. not reserved space, i find it only when i defrag with diskeeper.... so i thought maybe some of the 98 was left on the hard drive. would have been a little mad, seeing as i formatted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom