USB Storage Memory question - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus

Default Re: USB Storage Memory question

Where did you get that info Peter? SATA 3GB/s? That is so wrong.

"Drives are rated by how fast they can read and write data. An Ultra ATA drive is rated at 33.3 MB/sec, while a SATA 300 has a data transfer rate of 300 MB/sec. "

From here....

What is Data Transfer Rate?

And from this site here...

TechExams.Net - A+ TechNote: ATA/IDE/EIDE/SATA

IT says this:

"SATA can transfer data up to 150MBps (and will likely advance to 300 MB and 600 MB per second in the near future), making it, in theory, faster than parallel ATA (now also referred to as PATA) using UltraDMA mode 6 running at 133MBps."

So wherever you heard 3GB/s let me know. So i can go there and tell these people how stupid they are. **** even Wikipedia says it

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taking into account 8b10b coding overhead, the actual uncoded transfer-rate is 1.2 Gbit/s, or 150 megabytes per second (MB/s).

So please tell me you are joking when you said 3GB/s. Cause that is so wrong. When io have shown 3 sites now and there are plenty more on Google that say this as well.

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 10-07-2007, 02:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Retired.

Send a message via AIM to peterhuang913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli213 View Post
Where did you get that info Peter? SATA 3GB/s? That is so wrong.

"Drives are rated by how fast they can read and write data. An Ultra ATA drive is rated at 33.3 MB/sec, while a SATA 300 has a data transfer rate of 300 MB/sec. "

From here....

What is Data Transfer Rate?

And from this site here...

TechExams.Net - A+ TechNote: ATA/IDE/EIDE/SATA

IT says this:

"SATA can transfer data up to 150MBps (and will likely advance to 300 MB and 600 MB per second in the near future), making it, in theory, faster than parallel ATA (now also referred to as PATA) using UltraDMA mode 6 running at 133MBps."

So wherever you heard 3GB/s let me know. So i can go there and tell these people how stupid they are. **** even Wikipedia says it

Serial ATA - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taking into account 8b10b coding overhead, the actual uncoded transfer-rate is 1.2 Gbit/s, or 150 megabytes per second (MB/s).

So please tell me you are joking when you said 3GB/s. Cause that is so wrong. When io have shown 3 sites now and there are plenty more on Google that say this as well.
I said 3Gb/s, small b for bit.

My computer uses 1.5A-load, .8A-idle, .65A-standby, .05A-turned off on 125V.
"The spaces between your fingers were created so that another's could fill them in."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcent View Post
I need to stop using the internet.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via ICQ to Cunjo Send a message via Yahoo to Cunjo

I didn't say anything about seek time, only overall read/write speed, for which the transfer rate is the bottleneck on USB devices. It is significantly faster to copy a 1 gig file from one SATA drive to another than to/from a USB 2.0 device.
Old 10-07-2007, 06:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

If I remember right the performance of a HDD is higher if you read a block of sequential data. If you are reading data that it isn't stored sequentially in the device you can access to data faster with a memory stick. That's because the main disadvantage of a HDD is to move the "plates" into the right position, takes too long. If the data isn't stored sequentially the HDD has to position the reading heads in the right position several times decreasing the performance.

So you will get a higher performance if you use a memory stick to store virtual memory files because they aren't stored sequentially.

Closed Thread