USB problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

gein

Beta member
Yesterday we had a power failure. My UPS held my computer alive till the power went back. Then my OS (Windows XP pro) says that it doesnt have enough power supply for my card reader (Viking Intelliflash). I reboot and the card reader still doesnt work so i unplug it from the system and then all of my usb devices stop working (!). I reboot, still nothing. So ive changed my mouse and keyboard to PS/2, then removes everything that has with USB to do in Device Manager. Reboots, installs 2 USB rot nav and 2 VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller. Then tries to plugin any usb device but Windows doesnt recognize anything. Nothing happends.

All devices worked properly before so this has nothing to do with USB 2 or so.

Any help would be great!

Seems like the whole USB interface on the motherboard has been messed up.

why dun u try to remove the cmos battery and flash away all the memory? it may work.

Hi guys,

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened to me the other day except I had no power problems (had moved the PC) but I unplugged my printer. No problems with USB beforehand, and then it just seemed to fail.

Tried everything gein did (removed USB drivers, rebooted, reinstalled, etc) and the USB devices in System Status seem to show as fine (exactly as described above). Even went as far as formatting the hard drive and rebuilding the PC, but with no luck. USB ports physically look fine on the motherboard, and there are no errors at all on the system, except that none of the USB ports work!

Had a virus attack (successfully cleaned) on Friday last week, but other than that, nothing has really happend to have caused this! If anyone has any suggestions, or Gein, if you come up with a solution, can you let me know?!?!

there is a bug with the USB on our systems (laptop and desktop, both XP) whenever you unplug the USB device and plug it back in when running it thinks it is a whole new device and reinstalls the drivers, then if i try and use the previous drivers it thinks it's the wrong printer.
this happens when i change the printer over to the laptop or back to the desktop PC so i end up with a whole lot of copies of drivers in the "printers and other devices" part in control panel

so maybe using USB and it reinstalling the drivers may make it stop working

ScottyRae said:
Hi guys,

Pretty much exactly the same thing happened to me the other day except I had no power problems (had moved the PC) but I unplugged my printer. No problems with USB beforehand, and then it just seemed to fail.

Tried everything gein did (removed USB drivers, rebooted, reinstalled, etc) and the USB devices in System Status seem to show as fine (exactly as described above). Even went as far as formatting the hard drive and rebuilding the PC, but with no luck. USB ports physically look fine on the motherboard, and there are no errors at all on the system, except that none of the USB ports work!

Had a virus attack (successfully cleaned) on Friday last week, but other than that, nothing has really happend to have caused this! If anyone has any suggestions, or Gein, if you come up with a solution, can you let me know?!?!

I didnt come up with anything else. I think the whole USB-interface on the motherboard is broken. I bought 5 usb-slots on a PCI-card some days later, installed it and everything works well with the card.
So my answer is, no, i didnt come up with a solution more than bying external USB-slots with a PCI-card.

Right, well I had a quick look at my motherboard, and stupidly removed the cable linking the front USB ports to the motherboard thinking it was connected by 1 plug - silly me! Now cant fit the 8 little plugs back in.... BUT!

I also bought a 5 port PCI hub, which seems to work perfectly, and on rebooting the machine, I decided to check all the ports again. Obviously the front 2 ports dont work (cos they are disconnected) however the rear 2 ports now seem to work again!!! Has my rash disconnection of the front ports solved the problem??? Gein, it might be worth a try (obviously if you remember how you took the pins out so you can put them back in, unlike me!)

I had the same issue. But it was with my USB hub. Damn thing doesn't work now. But the ports on my mobo do work. So I'll probably just end up getting a new hub.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom