USB Hard Drive Booting

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigwojo

Beta member
Hi everyone,

I've looked all over the internet to find a simple but working way to boot my PC from a USB Hard Drive.
My BIOS does support the boot option for a USB device.
This is what I did:
I took a new drive and formatted it, installe Windows XP REV 2 and but it in a USB box for booting purposes. When I start the cmputer up and have the BIOS set to boot from the USB drive it shows activity on the USB drive and show a 1/2 sec screenshot of the Windows XP booting screen the shuts down and boots from my C: drive (the normal boot drive).
Is there a program or a simple thing to do so it boots from the USB and continues to boot from this drive?

Any solutions are appreciated.

Thank you,
Craig

Yes!

I would Click re write the "boot.ini" file stored on "drive:\boot.ini" (it's a hidden system file so you will need to be able to, view those files) change the boot drive from c:\ to the DIR of your USB Drive. this should enable windows to boot off that drive?

if this doesn't help please tell us!

I know that this has worked for me as I have Server 2003 and Windows XP Pro Dual Booting on my Ipod for use on the school network :)

Thank you Chris,

For example, what does your directory's name on your USB drive. The only directory I have on the drive (I belive)is the WINDOWS dir. I only installed Windows XP on the drive.
Am I missing the picture Chris?

Thank you,
Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom