USB Devices in Windows NT (Yeah I know its old) - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 06:01 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default USB Devices in Windows NT (Yeah I know its old)

Wondered if anyone here could shed some light on this issue I have.

I've got a laptop, and I want to connect a secondry (external) hard drive via usb. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D600, its running Windows NT v 4.00.1381.

When I plug in my usb device, it detects it in a program called "USB Tray" (v 2.0.0), but the system does not assign a drive letter or give me any idea how to access the usb device.

Anyone got any ideas? I'm at a loss...I much prefer windows xp, plug and play makes life so much easier!

Old 04-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

Ayeee I have not dealt with NT4.0 in years!! The mass storage device you purchased you are sure it is compatible with NT40? It will say on the box which OS's its compatible with. If it is then it should have came with a CD. Launch the installer from the CD and it should take care of the drivers for NT40 and assign a drive and such. It will not be as easy as other OS's but doable. I did one with Windows 98 what a *****. I can imaging NT40 will be even *****ier..lol.

Old 04-25-2006, 06:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Yeah I'm guessing its going to be a tough one to do. I'm testing it with a usb pen drive at the moment to see if I can get access to the data on it, but I'm under the impression that the pen drive i have is not compatible with NT (its only a free one I got from somewhere).

I'll have to be a bit specific when I go and get the external hard drive, and hope the drivers work...its been a long time since I've tried to mount/unmount an extra hard drive, but this seems to be a similar job

Thanks for the reply though, I'd not have thought to check compatability...everything these days is plug and play.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:00 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Send a message via AIM to Win2kpatcher

I will see if I can play with this at work for ya if I get some free time tomorrow. I know we have some USB externals floating around and an NT 40 machine back in storage..haha now Im really making you feel dated eh? Whats stoppin ya from putting Win2k on it at least? That isnt to much of a resource hog like XP. We had Pentium MMX 233MHZ w/96MB RAM running Win2k for the longest time. Then corp finally gave us a lot of money and were all up to speed.
Old 04-25-2006, 07:33 AM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Believe me I'd love to just put XP on the laptop and be done, but its a work PC, an we're still running NT4 until they upgrade us this year, apparently we're going to XP but that could be next week...or the week before christmas! Makes me laugh though, they've just decided to upgrade to XP, and Vista is due soon...so in effect as soon as they upgrade, the system will be out of date again!

I'll just phone round some stores and see if anyone has an external thats NT compatible, think thats going to be a hill to climb as we all know NT is about as widespread these days as rocking horse droppings
Old 04-25-2006, 01:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

if its a brand new its perfectly normal that it dont have a drive letter , you should create its partition/s

Closed Thread