usb device behavior on XP and ME - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2006, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default usb device behavior on XP and ME

I recently bought a USB memory card reader. Thing is it behaves differently on my XP and ME computers.
On the XP computer the device has to be reconnected to the USB port after I log in for the system to detect it properly. If I boot up with the device connected XP won't detect it or it won't recognize it.
The behavior on the ME computer is the exact opposite. It has to be plugged in at boot up to be detected properly. If I connect it after boot up the device will be detected, but it won't be assigned a drive letter. I have to restart the computer in order to use it.
Any ideas to fix this strange behavior so it works properly on either machine (it should be detected and assigned a drive letter whether or not it is connected at boot up)? Thanks in advance!

Old 05-31-2006, 10:21 AM   #2 (permalink)
Send a message via Yahoo to talldude123

Update drivers for both computers.

Go to Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager -> Look for "Card Reader"

Old 05-31-2006, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the quick reply. Windows says the best driver is already installed. The device came with drivers only for Win98 and Win2k. There aren't any drivers available at the manufacturer's website. I guess they just counted on the default XP and ME drivers to get the job done. Am I stuck with this behavior?
Old 05-31-2006, 01:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Send a message via MSN to NayNay1991x

whats the make and model of the USB Memory Card Reader ? try googling it that will give u answers surely
Old 06-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

looks like you might be stuck with it since there arent any drivers for it under XP
Closed Thread