***URGENT*** System total failure, files needed for tomorrow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be careful about using that version. The last time I heard about an executive version of XP it was a pirated version. It might install but it surely wont get any system updates from windows update. It will fail the verification check.

from what I remember, there were many copies of that executive version using only a handful of cd keys. might have just been 2 cd keys total.

download ubuntu or a form of linux that you can live boot from a CD. Mount the C Drive, insert a flash drive and copy the files you need from the HDD to the flashdrive.

just so you know if you do this linux is about 700MB so it will take a while to download.

Well hmm ill admit it, the executive certainly is pirate, i borrowed it from a mate, but how come it wont work if its just to restore? can i download a repair CD?

download ubuntu or a form of linux that you can live boot from a CD. Mount the C Drive, insert a flash drive and copy the files you need from the HDD to the flashdrive.

just so you know if you do this linux is about 700MB so it will take a while to download.
This will only help him get the files. As would my first post where i said to take it out and put it in another PC to get the files off the drive.
Well hmm ill admit it, the executive certainly is pirate, i borrowed it from a mate, but how come it wont work if its just to restore? can i download a repair CD?
Executive is NOT the same as Pro. They are different versions. It would be like trying to restore your computer with Vista DVD. There is no Repair CD. You need the XP CD that matches your system. Just as i have said.

Now you can either take out the drive and use it on the PC you are using to post or use a Ubuntu CD. That will get you the files. After that you will have to get a copy of a MATCHING XP CD so you can try to repair your PC.

A bit of warning next time. Dont mess with the Registry unless you FULLY know what it is you are deleting. Never get rid of anything from a Microsoft folder. Not unless you have made a backup of everything or are afraid to lose your PC. This is a perfect example as to why you do not want to mess with these things.

You might want to spend some time with Mr Torrence. Get an XP Pro iso from there and burn it. Use the CD key that is currently on your machine and you should be fine. After you get it going, do a thorough scan (or 10) to rid it of malware.

he said he needs the files for a presentation, if he can manage to do the linux thing or the HDD swap and get it on a flash dirve or SD card he should be fine if he has another computer to use. But he would need another computer to download linux and burn on the CD or another computer to put his current HDD in.

if you want ubuntu you can download it here Download Ubuntu | Ubuntu

He is using a PC to post?!? So why wouldnt he have access to a PC to hook it up to? Unless i am missing something here.

im using a small laptop to post, and im trying to restore it with exectuive, it seems ot be working fine, i just got to the part after you select the operating system and the amdin password

NoAdware classified the folder as being infected with Trojan.Vundo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom