URGENT PLEASE stuck on automatic recovery (laptop fell but seems to be alright)

projectfear22

Baseband Member
Hello so I was sleepy but didn't want to sleep and decided to put on an audio book while lying with my laptop on my upper legs and I forgot I had it and as I turned around it fell. Nothing is broken no wrong sounds or anything. The windows however annoys me.

When I turn it on it then loads for a longer while and then says something along the lines of encountered a problem we will restart for you to gather info or something. Then it restarts goes into automatic recovery and then that screen disappears and leaves just a grayish screen, after some while of waiting it goes into a loop it restarts again and goes into automatic recovery

What should I do please help (writing this from PC which has w7)

I'm not sure which win my laptop has, when I looked at the online store it said 8.1 when I look in the papers it says 8 so I'm confused, maybe they just write 8 but it's really 8.1

HELP PLEASE! THANKS :D

Toshiba Satellite S875D - S7350

some guy says I should check system partition for filesystem errors, my friend says I should try swf scan or whatever it's called ( I can't access cmd promt though)

also my friend says I should try this: go to f12 - enter setup - advanced - boot mod - csm boot

What should this do though?

(On F12 I have boot hdd, usb, odd, lan, enter setup, hdd recovery)

INFO: So I apparently managed to get the command F8 (system restore) to the laptops 'brain' (since booting became so fast it can't recognize i pushed a button) but it doesn't opet Safe Mode it only opens Automatic Recovery then the grey screen then a longer wait and then restart and continues the same circle

I learned that I might have a built in HDD Recovery option which is something like System Restore (btw I even made a restore point when I just bought the laptop)

Is it safe to try that? (it's on f12)

Since you dropped it, my guess would be the Hard drive itself got jacked up and is damaged physically. Best thing to do would be try to either remove your laptop hard drive and hook it up to another computer as a secondary drive and try to retrieve the files...or download a Linux ISO (such as Ubuntu or Mint), boot off of it, and see if you can browse your HDD that way to pull files off. If you can see the files...there's at least some hope that the drive isn't damaged beyond repair. But if you can't even see any files...I'd say bye bye HDD.

Since you dropped it, my guess would be the Hard drive itself got jacked up and is damaged physically. Best thing to do would be try to either remove your laptop hard drive and hook it up to another computer as a secondary drive and try to retrieve the files...or download a Linux ISO (such as Ubuntu or Mint), boot off of it, and see if you can browse your HDD that way to pull files off. If you can see the files...there's at least some hope that the drive isn't damaged beyond repair. But if you can't even see any files...I'd say bye bye HDD.

how do you remove a hdd and wouldn't that ruin my warranty?

what if it just fell out of place or smth? idk how it looks from inside (it fell in this position "A" and it didn't fall from too high it fell on a carpet)

You saying I should download an iso and burn it onto a cd and install it as if I were installing windows and retrieve the files if I manage to get on desktop?

btw this is the screen that appears before automatic repair http://fud.community.services.suppo...ashx?fid=76b46920-785f-4e9c-b5d0-f1f54b083318

NOTE: IT IS NOT WHAT APPEARS ON MY SCREEN. That's a picture form the internet.. you see that tiny text under? I have that too but I can't read it on my screen as it disappears in less than a second, also on the image on the big text there's a percentage while on my screen there isn't a percentage and it just finishes it's sentence with "we will restart for you"

how about the suggestion to go to f12 - enter setup - advanced - boot mod - csm boot ?

should I do that? what would happen?

Also this was suggested as well: You can use Unetbootin to make ISO Files such as Damn Small Linux bootable. First, get an USB Pen Drive you could use and format it by right-clicking on it and selecting "format...". Select Fat32. After it has finished, run Unetbootin, click on "Image", select the ISO and the USB Drive where you want to install. When it's finished, safely remove the USB Drive and plug it in your shut-down Laptop. Grab an external USB HDD and plug it in. Start the Laptop and go to the Setup first by pressing Del or F2 or whatever Button you have to go to the BIOS/UEFI. Go through the Settings and check whether Legacy Boot is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled. If not, do so + Save and Exit. Now press the Button to go to the Bootmenu (it could be F12 or F8 or another FX(X) one). Once you have successfully started the Live CD, copy the Files from your Laptop to your USB HDD. When you're finished, shut it down.

though it seems a bit complicated :S

how do you remove a hdd and wouldn't that ruin my warranty?
Depends on the laptop in question - usually either remove the bottom panel, and then 1 or 2 screws holding the laptop in. Would need to know the model #.

what if it just fell out of place or smth? idk how it looks from inside (it fell in this position "A" and it didn't fall from too high it fell on a carpet)
Doesn't have to fall very high - hard drives are sensitive to hard shocks.

You saying I should download an iso and burn it onto a cd and install it as if I were installing windows and retrieve the files if I manage to get on desktop?
No - you run it live off of the CD or USB. You already have the instructions actually from the UNetbootin instructions you just posted.

how about the suggestion to go to f12 - enter setup - advanced - boot mod - csm boot ?

should I do that? what would happen?
I don't know what "CSM Boot" is.

Edit: after Googling it, sounds like it's required to change in order to boot from a removable drive (like a flash drive...which is what you'd have to do in order to boot off of the Linux LiveCD as instructed below).

Also this was suggested as well: You can use Unetbootin to make ISO Files such as Damn Small Linux bootable. First, get an USB Pen Drive you could use and format it by right-clicking on it and selecting "format...". Select Fat32. After it has finished, run Unetbootin, click on "Image", select the ISO and the USB Drive where you want to install. When it's finished, safely remove the USB Drive and plug it in your shut-down Laptop. Grab an external USB HDD and plug it in. Start the Laptop and go to the Setup first by pressing Del or F2 or whatever Button you have to go to the BIOS/UEFI. Go through the Settings and check whether Legacy Boot is enabled and Secure Boot is disabled. If not, do so + Save and Exit. Now press the Button to go to the Bootmenu (it could be F12 or F8 or another FX(X) one). Once you have successfully started the Live CD, copy the Files from your Laptop to your USB HDD. When you're finished, shut it down.

though it seems a bit complicated :S

That's pretty much what I was suggesting you to do. Though I just suggested Ubuntu or Mint as they have a nice, friendly GUI.

Depends on the laptop in question - usually either remove the bottom panel, and then 1 or 2 screws holding the laptop in. Would need to know the model #.

Doesn't have to fall very high - hard drives are sensitive to hard shocks.

No - you run it live off of the CD or USB. You already have the instructions actually from the UNetbootin instructions you just posted.

I don't know what "CSM Boot" is.

Edit: after Googling it, sounds like it's required to change in order to boot from a removable drive (like a flash drive...which is what you'd have to do in order to boot off of the Linux LiveCD as instructed below).

That's pretty much what I was suggesting you to do. Though I just suggested Ubuntu or Mint as they have a nice, friendly GUI.

is there not an easier way to get at least 1 file from my desktop, I'm pretty sure I know the file name too? with a normal usb? no complicated stuff or extra stuff that I don't have

Should I try HDD Recovery option? It may ask me to delete partition or delete it alone and I'm afraid that one of these scenarios won't happen:
I'm heavily worried that something like this wont happen if I try HDD Recovery

• it'll initiate the process of recovery and restart, then it'll go on in circles all the time
  • it'll initiate the process of recovery and restart then it'll stop at some point and corrupt everything
  • it'll initiate recovery and ask me to hit a button which won't end up working and I will end up having a half recovered system which isn't usable
  • it'll/i'll delete a partition and it'll ask me to hit a button to create a new one and the button wouldn't take effect
I would love to try this but the risks are very high so I don't know what to do

if I get it repaired would people look on my files? if the hdd is trashed what would they do? is there a higher chance of them looking at files if I specifically state not to look (cause you know curiousity)

ADDITIONAL INFO: SO I FILMED THE less-than-1-sec BLUE SCREEN which appears after loading and before auto recovery and says it'll restart the pc for me. And I'm not 100 sure but it may be showing UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME as the error

is there not an easier way to get at least 1 file from my desktop, I'm pretty sure I know the file name too? with a normal usb? no complicated stuff or extra stuff that I don't have
I wouldn't really call creating a Live USB a complicated option...it's easy to do and will have you able to recover your files easily (as long as the HDD is still working). The other option is to remove the HDD from the laptop and hook it up to another computer.

Should I try HDD Recovery option? It may ask me to delete partition or delete it alone and I'm afraid that one of these scenarios won't happen:
I'm heavily worried that something like this wont happen if I try HDD Recovery

• it'll initiate the process of recovery and restart, then it'll go on in circles all the time
  • it'll initiate the process of recovery and restart then it'll stop at some point and corrupt everything
  • it'll initiate recovery and ask me to hit a button which won't end up working and I will end up having a half recovered system which isn't usable
  • it'll/i'll delete a partition and it'll ask me to hit a button to create a new one and the button wouldn't take effect
I would love to try this but the risks are very high so I don't know what to do
If the HDD is trashed (I'm guessing it is) then recovery won't work AT ALL anyway. I'm trying to get you to even verify your files are STILL READABLE off of the drive. The Recovery is for reinstalling Windows - not for recovering lost/damaged files.

if I get it repaired would people look on my files? if the hdd is trashed what would they do? is there a higher chance of them looking at files if I specifically state not to look (cause you know curiousity)
Huh? What do you mean "would people look on my files" ? Other people looking at your files has nothing to do with this.

ADDITIONAL INFO: SO I FILMED THE less-than-1-sec BLUE SCREEN which appears after loading and before auto recovery and says it'll restart the pc for me. And I'm not 100 sure but it may be showing UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME as the error

That means it can't find a boot volume - and since you said you dropped your laptop...usually that means dead drive.

You keep trying things that aren't being suggested. I'm trying to help but you keep avoiding my suggestions :\.

If you want to try the Live USB option...
1. Create the LiveUSB from an Ubuntu ISO on your current computer. You can do this with UNetBootin, Rufus (my preference), etc.
2. Boot off of the LiveUSB (you may have to configure BIOS settings to allow booting from the flash drive into a Linux environment...we'll cross that bridge if/when we come to it).
3. Once booted, choose the "Try Ubuntu" option to boot into the Live environment
4. Once booted into the Live environment, open the file explorer
5. Try and browse to your HDD if it sees it (usually /devXXX/sd#/ - where XXX is a letter and # is a partition number).
6. If it can read the drive, then good! Plug in another flash drive or external HDD and start backing your files up immediately

If you want to try the non-Live option of hooking it up to another PC...
1. Remove your HDD from the laptop
2. Buy an external enclosure for laptop HDD's
3. Insert laptop HDD into enclosure
4. Plug into other PC
5. Try and browse to HDD

After you do one of these - we'll continue on. Firstly we need to see if you can even retrieve your files.

Back
Top Bottom