Urgent: I need help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

AND_YOU_ARE

Fully Optimized
Here is the situation:

A primary hard drive in computer A is corupted so that it wont boot. The user has log on password. I took that hard drive out and placed it in a usb enclosure to access the files on my computer. But since the user has set up a password I can not access the files under the user name in my documents. The files must be recovered. How do I go about doing this?

I need help on this.

Thanks

Edit:
The os is xp home on the hard drive i need to recover files, and xp pro on my system. When I click on the user's name in documents and settings i get a message saying i can not access these files.

If you've put another HD in your computer, as a slave, you don't need a password. It's a standard file setup, go to My Computer -> Click on <Drive here> -> Navigate to the file(s) you need and you're off.

[Edit] USB Enclosure? USB - IDE?[/Edit]

I know I dont need a password. I can access all the files except the ones under

H:/Documents and Settings/ Username

That is the only folder I can not access. It has all the important documents in it. I can access every other folder and file. When I click on that folder, windows tells me I dont hace access to it.

I dont have a screen shot, its on a different computer.

Basicaly a window pops up telling me i can not access this folder, and all i can do is click the ok button

Well, you've got a major problem, there's no reason for it to do this. Unless it's strongly encrypted or something, it's not doing that. Sorry, but IMO it seems as though you want this for something .... you know..

-SKyHi

try right clicking the folder goto properties, click security tab, click advanced, goto owner, check replace owner on..., click ok

try to transfer files

ok a few tries from me... hope they help
1. start>mycomputer>tools>folder options>view>advanced>uncheck simple file sharing. then right click folder u want>properties>security> If a window comes up hit ok>advanced>ownership> make urself owner
2. move the folder/copy it and move it
3. this one i have NO idea about :( from what i have heard (im prolly wrong ive NEVER used this before) norton ghost will kinda copy ur hard dive allowing you to access files. so basicly u just use it snap shot ur files then they'll be urs kus the ghost will make them ur back up files.. then go through like that
4. heres another i have NO idea about.. some one plz correct me on this if im wrong... open ur cmd prompt. then type in the path...
if it finds the path type this in: copy "path"
idk i was told u can do that with files from microsoft but i thought it was only with like .dll files so i have no idea sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom