Upgrading to XP - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 07-30-2004, 10:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Angry Upgrading to XP

Hello All,

I have been trying to upgrade 98 to XP for a week now. I keep getting a blue screen error upon restart that states unmountable_boot_volume and an unaccesible_boot_device when I try to upgrade to Windows 2000. I have tryed all the things Microsoft has on there site like changeing my IDE cables to 80 wire to no end. Can anyone give me some ideas on what might help.

Thank You

Old 07-30-2004, 11:53 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Is this a legit upgrade CD?

If you answered No -- ... then the pirated copy was probably made from a bad image. And we don't support piracy on this forum.

If you answered Yes -- ... then check the CD for scratches. Check the online HCL and make sure that your hardware is compatible with XP. If there are no scratches and your system meets the requirements of the HCL, then call Microsoft and request a replacement CD. They will ask you a ton of questions to make sure that you have tried every trouble-shooting thing imaginable and then ask you for proof of purchase. You should get a new CD (minus key) in a couple weeks.

You could say I've been around.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default both are Legite

Both the xp and 2000 are originals. And I have tryed my buddys xp disc with the same result. Anyone else have any suggestions besides contacting Microsoft I do not want to pay for there tech support.

Old 07-30-2004, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Could you give us some more information about your system's hardware?

Also, are you upgrading from 98 or 98SE

Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 07-30-2004, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default windows 98

My system is new I just built it. Motherboard - soyo kt600 plus v.1, cpu - AMD Athlon XP 2800+ 333mh, Grafixs - PNY GeForce 5200 verto, Hardrive - Maxtor 20g, CdRws - 1 Memorex 4x2x24 & 1 Acer 6x4x32, memory - Ultra pc2700 512mb 333mh if you need anything else let me know.

Old 08-01-2004, 08:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Boot from Recovery Console (Don't have it download from www.bootdisk.com), run a diskpart and remove all the partitions. Once that is done create just one primary partition, don't format it. Simply put the XP upgrade disk and install XP.

NOTE: when you try to install xp directly after removing the partitions that is without installing Win98... setup will prompt you for the win98 disk... you just need to put that in....
Old 08-01-2004, 09:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Heath-- I'm not sure familier with this problem, but if you do a search, that blue screen you talked about, is also known as "THE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH." That might bring you more results. Also, instead of talking to Microsoft, I would talk to your computer's manufacturer. Take Dell for an example, if your warrenty expired, which I assume it did since your running Win98, they will still offer free phone support. If it came down to it, I would call Microsoft as a last resort, but like you said.....it's not free. I believe something like $29.99 each call.

Closed Thread