Upgrading Windows 7 OEM to Windows 10 while getting new CPU and mobo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

azor7878

Baseband Member
Hello everybody!
I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OEM in Polish which is first activated on this system:
Modecom Carbon MC530
MSI 770-45c
Phenom II x6 2,8Ghz 1055t
ADATA 2x2GB 1600
Radeon HD5770 1gb
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

Now i replaced everything but cpu and hdd, which i previously used as a boot drive and now is my secondary storage, my current specs are:
Corsair 230t
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Corsair CX500M
Phenom II x6 1055t @3,5Ghz
CoolerMaster 212 evo
GTX 970 G1 Gaming
HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866
Samsung 840 evo 120gb
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

And with those i can activate my copy of Windows by the phone. Now, I will be getting 4790k on MSI z970s SLI krait edition next week and i suppose that w7 will still activate by phone on it, will it?

I wonder how i should go about upgrading to w10, should I:
a. Upgrade to w10 now (i have the option, Windows Update already downloaded the OS) and then clean install w10 on new hardware or will w10 still be OEM assigned to 1055t and M5A99FX and i should...
b. Install w7 on new hardware and hope it activates, download all the updates, wait for the option to upgrade and after upgrade finally clean install?

Last edited:
Sure but in Poland Windows can be pretty expensive, when i bought it it was for equivalent of ~250 USD and at that time i didn't know the diference betwen box and oem. I'm not spending that kind of money again just becouse i upgraded my pc.

Like above said, your not meant to use OEM like that BUT you can.. Dont activate by phone, just extract the cd-key before you wipe the HDD and input it on the new win7 install, then upgrade to win10 :cool:

AFAIK, you aren't supposed to use OEM in this manor...

Sure is and is against the WIndows ToS.

If you can't afford to buy a new Windows license, download a Linux distro.

So, no more discussion on how to bypass the Windows 7 OEM activation process.

Dont do a fresh install of 7, I personally had to to do this myself and activated windows via the control panel.
Its cheating but it can be done, I also have a OEM copy of 7 and had to finagle a few things to make it work.
My copy of windows was still legal, I just had to assign myself a new code manually.

^ It's not "cheating" - it's illegal to transfer an OEM license to a new system / board. If you want to transfer, then buy a retail license (which is usually isn't much more than OEM) which allows transferring to new hardware.

Well the method I said did work for me, I was not going to buy another licence if I didnt have to (besides windows 7 licences are no longer on Microsofts official list anymore) I didnt want to buy windows 8 so close to windows 10 and had myself already lined up for the free windows 10 upgrade.
I just avoided a fresh install and just re registered my copy with my new hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom