Upgrading to win7: 32bit or 64bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rustyw

Solid State Member
Hi,

I'm upgrading my BOXX 3200 from XP 32bit to Windows7 and want to install the 64bit version. I know as far as the 'upgrade' goes this is possible but I'm not sure what else it would mean.

The system has an AMD Athlon 64bit Dual Core Processor 4800+, however when I run SecurAble it says that I do not have Hardware Virtualization and think I read that this would mean that the system would run slower in 64bit.

Also, I do not know if going to win7 64bit would cause incompatibilities with any of my hardware or programs.

I would greatly appreciate any advise.

Cheers,
Rusty

Hi,

I'm upgrading my BOXX 3200 from XP 32bit to Windows7 and want to install the 64bit version. I know as far as the 'upgrade' goes this is possible but I'm not sure what else it would mean.

XP 32bit to Windows7 and want to install the 64bit version. I know as far as the 'upgrade' goes this is impossible
can't go from 32 to 64 bit
can't go from xp to 7

windowsupgradechart.png

No Hardware Virtualization
I think this means you cannot run in XP mode

hardware wise, you have to go and check them all one by one
it's a PITA, and sometimes vendors don't release updates because they want you to buy new stuff, which sucks even more

Clown is right. You cant direct upgrade to Win7 64 Bit. It isnt going to happen. but as far as the aspect of incompatibilities that is all wrong now. You will see there is very few programs that are not able to be run on Win7 64 Bit that you could use in XP. Almost everything i ran in XP runs just fine.

MoM- Sorry to tell ya, XP wasnt DOS based. The DOS shell that your thinking of was dropped with ME. XP was fully coded to be a stand alone. Which is why the advanced boot options, you dont see the option for DOS anymore. This is when the command prompt came along so people still familiar with DOS and had some old DOS based programs could still be run. But XP itself was and is no where near DOS based.

For those that would like to argue about that aspect, the programs that use the DOS Shell are almost none existent today. With the instroduction of the Windows installer and the new .msi format the DOS Shell based programs are no longer used. Even Microsoft themselves have gotten away from the Command Prompt and moved over to what they call Power Shell which is way different that the command prompt but still text based.

XP was not based on DOS. It only retained some aspects of DOS cause back when XP was created in 2001, this was the first move away from the DOS Shell GUI that Windows was using with the 9X platform. As of SP2 it was pretty much phased out at that point.

Hi,

No, it is certainly possible to upgrade xp to w7 -- already did my notebook. It requires a fresh install of 7 and the win7 install instructions guides you through this.

The procedure to upgrade from 32 to 64 is all over the web... I have not tried it yet and I will admit I hadn't considered the legalities darn it. I suppose if I want to go to 64bits I need 'that' upgrade.

I suppose I'll just go with 32 -- I hear the only advantage is the memory upgrade I was considering and running XP mode via the virtual-machine which I don't have anyway.

Thanks for all the quick responses!!!

Rusty

What is meant by it is not possible is the inplace upgrade. The option you are talking of is basically a fresh install. As even Microsoft says it is not possible to upgrade from XP to Win7. That upgrade is just inserting the disk, not losing any data and not having to back anything up.

So what you want to do can be done, but it requires more work. When people say upgrade, we have to make sure they understand that there are 2 different types. Inplace from Vista to Win7 where nothing is lost, and from XP to Win7 where you must back everything up and reinstall it all after.

Doing the method you must you could go to Win7 64 Bit. We just were not sure if you understood that you couldnt just insert the disk and not lose any data.

What is meant by it is not possible is the inplace upgrade. The option you are talking of is basically a fresh install. As even Microsoft says it is not possible to upgrade from XP to Win7. That upgrade is just inserting the disk, not losing any data and not having to back anything up.

So what you want to do can be done, but it requires more work. When people say upgrade, we have to make sure they understand that there are 2 different types. Inplace from Vista to Win7 where nothing is lost, and from XP to Win7 where you must back everything up and reinstall it all after.

Doing the method you must you could go to Win7 64 Bit. We just were not sure if you understood that you couldnt just insert the disk and not lose any data.

I understand. Do you believe that it is improper to go from 32 to 64... that is, the method given sounds like a cludge... I have enough problems, LOL... I don't want problems with my windows license! Going from 3Gig to 4Gig (my reason for wanting 64bit) would help me (I do CG/animation/modeling).

Rusty

MoM- Sorry to tell ya, XP wasnt DOS based. The DOS shell that your thinking of was dropped with ME. XP was fully coded to be a stand alone. Which is why the advanced boot options, you dont see the option for DOS anymore. This is when the command prompt came along so people still familiar with DOS and had some old DOS based programs could still be run. But XP itself was and is no where near DOS based.

Oh, sorry about that, Mak. :doh: I was thinking of something else, never mind.

I understand. Do you believe that it is improper to go from 32 to 64... that is, the method given sounds like a cludge... I have enough problems, LOL... I don't want problems with my windows license! Going from 3Gig to 4Gig (my reason for wanting 64bit) would help me (I do CG/animation/modeling).

Rusty
In all honesty i believe if you have the option to go 64 Bit then you should. If the programs you use for CG/animation/modeling will work in Win7 64 bit, then do it. To verify check the site here. It is a good place to start. If that doesnt give you the answer check the developers home page.

But since you are making the change anyways, i see no reason why not to go 64 Bit. I did it myself when i updated to Win7 and i love it. I wont go back.
Oh, sorry about that, Mak. :doh: I was thinking of something else, never mind.
Its understandable. Just wanted to clarify that. It can be confusing. :heart:

Hi,

Oh this is great... now I can't find how to do it anywhere! I believe if I just try to install the 64 bit version it will see the 32 bit version and tell me 'nope'. I can't wipe the disk then install or it won't see a qualifing OS. As I recall it was something like install it once without using the serial number (ah... but how?) the install it again.

Rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom