Upgrading to Win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skiller.

In Runtime
My computer is in need of a format, so I figured this would be my chance to upgrade to Win 7. If I'm going to be selling my copy of Vista, do I have to buy the full version of Win 7 so the product key for my copy of Vista is available? Lastly, when installing Win 7 full version (With Vista still on PC) do I just boot it from disc and format, or install new?

Thanks a lot

Alright lets get a couple things straight. Is this a OEM copy of Vista? If so you can NOT sell it. OEM copies are not transferable. At All. If it is retail then yes you can sell it and yes you will have to buy a full version of Win7 as you will not be able to use that serial for the upgrade version. You will boot from the disk, format AND install new. If you are selling Vista you can have not a single aspect of it left on your machine in order to sell it. That is part of removing the OS for transfer.

Thanks for the response. It is a OEM copy of Vista, so I won't sell it then. When you say format and install new, I can do this all from the Win7 disk (I no longer need the Vista disk at all)?

Do I have any other use for my copy of Vista then?

Yes you can do it from the win7 disk. But i would suggest formatting with Gparted and not the one included with the Windows setup disk. That is onl a quick format. It is junk. Read the thread by Memory here. I give information about it to him as well.

You could dual boot if you want to keep Vista. If not then no, there wont be a use for Vista. Being OEM it only has a single activation and it cant be transferred. So there isnt much you can do with it.

Technically no. Since the OEM version can only be activated once and it already has a hardware profile associated with that serial, upon trying to activate you would be denied and be forced to call and explain to Microsoft why the machine you are installing Vista on now doesnt match the system that it was originally used for.

While OEM is great when it comes to price, it comes with many restrictions. Microsoft is trying to get places like NewEgg and Tiger Direct to stop selling OEM copies since they are supposed to be used for System Builders and bought in bulk.

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - Operating Systems

Look under the Specs of a OEM product on NewEgg. there is a disclaimer.

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

That says it all right there, but since it is hidden away not many people see it when they are buying.

If you reinstall it you will have to activate it. But at the same time since it is the same machine the hardware profiles will match what is already on record so you wont be denied the activation.

Simply put, you can install Windows on the same machine as many times as you want. There is no limit and it never uses up your total amount of activations. It will only use 1. It is tied to the hardware profile that is taken upon activation. It is only when your hardware profile changes that it uses up another activation.

Case in point my copy of Win7. I first installed it on my old Dell P4 system that i was using. that blew up on me. I got a new AMD system. Installed Win7 64 Bit. Used the same serial. It activated no problem. the reason, i have retail copies. They allow for activation of 3 machines as long as there is no more than 1 machine activated at once. since my old machine bit the dust and is not scrap, i was able to use the same serial again no problem. but if i had a OEM version, i would have had to purchase a new copy. Since the OEM license would have died with that machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom