Upgrading from Vista Home Premium - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 03-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Upgrading from Vista Home Premium

Our office needs Vista Business at a minimum to be compatible with a new mail server we are adding. We have Home Premium now.

I wanted to run by our two upgrade options and make sure I'm not missing something.

My first option is to upgrade to Ultimate... apparently the only version Microsoft allows you to upgrade to from Home Premium. Pretty spendy at around $200 per. No OEM version offered either it seems.

The other option I have is to buy the OEM, full version of Business for $140 apiece, and replace what we have. The OEM version of Ultimate is $180.

I can't seem to find OEM upgrade versions, just full installs.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: Upgrading from Vista Home Premium

You will be better off buying OEM Business Edition versions. The ones you found for $140 a piece. Replace what you have now. Trying to buy the Ultimate and try to upgrade you will end up causing more damage then good and end up having to go this route anyways.

As most of the upgrades i have seen done of Vista from the Upgrade Anytime option become corrupt upon using that option. A full install is always recommended over upgrades.

I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Techie
Default Re: Upgrading from Vista Home Premium

I was wondering about the Anytime option and simply frowned at downloading the OS rather then seeing a clean install. Any time you change even the current version of Vista unlike XP's repair install option plan on reformatting the drive as well. Vista loves a fresh partition to go onto.

Having a full install disk and not simply an upgrade disk is the preferred option for just about any version of Windows especially Vista. MS is dropping the price a little on Vista as of late while OEM for system builders is still going to be a better buy without the retail box.
Closed Thread