Upgrading ME to XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

koldapu

Fully Optimized
Have a friend who made a computer just for regular stuff and loaded it with ME a couple years back . . .

anyways he had gotten a 5400RPM drive and later on got another 7200RPM drive . . .

ME is loaded onto the 5400RPM drive; will he be able to upgrade to XP and place it on the 7200RPM?

he's really worried about it for some reason . . .

thanks

he should make a disk copy or make an image and put it on his new drive.

I don't know about upgrading from ME to XP....I always thought ME was the one wich wasn't upgradable, but others say its Win2k...not sure

well i think he has 98se, but he thinks he has ME since it crahses a lot :p

how abouts would he go to make a disk copy or make an image?

also, he just im'ed me saying that he got a raptor 10k for his other gmaing machine and he wanted to put xp on that hdd instead of the 7200 seagate that he has . . .

i think he got the oem windows xp pro . .

that wouldn't be a coinsidance: craching+ME...its almost the same word...

I use PowerQuest Partition Magic to copy a drive and PowerQuest Drive Image to make images. The newest version of Drive Image is called V2i and it makes images without the need of rebooting your PC.

I'm not familiar with HD's...is the raptor IDE or SATA?
I don't know how it works with SATA.

And I think updating 98 > Xp will be no problem...

You can ugrade first and then copy or make an image and restore it on the new drive, or first copy or image and upgrading afterwards.

Partiton Magic is very simple...you install the program in windows and create the bootdisks....boot with them and select copy drive or something.

For Drive Image its the same procedure..make disks, reboot and make an image and store it somwhere...then start Drive Image in windows 98/ME and select 'restore image' and put it on the new drive....it will boot without the need to make any changes, just put the new drive on the IDE channel wich has been used for the old Windows and start comp.

I'm not, sure, but maybe drive image can copy disks/partitions ,also.

With V2i you can skip the bootdisks and reboot while making an image, although Im not sure it works that way in 98. You need at least 256RAM.

Hope this helps.

partiton magic = copy drive/manage partitions
drive image=making images/copies of files/folders/entire drives or partitions.

V2i=newer version of Drive Image=better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom