Upgrading from 98SE??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Replikant

Baseband Member
Any way i can find out if my computer can take the next step up in Windows, without hiring a tech to look at it? Two extra memory cards were added last year, if that helps. IBM Netvista.

Also, i need to replace the power strip - is there a certain sequence i need to follow in plugging the computer back in & getting the modem back up?

After this power surge the PC seems a bit slower than it was - anything i might do about this?

Please reply in non-technical language!

XP requires at least 128 MB of RAM, but you better have at least 256. (More is better) Also, you should have at least a P3 in the 450 Mhz or higher range or it will be SLOW. Microsoft says all you need is like a 200 Mhz but don't believe it. (Again, more is better)It will run, but not very well. You need a larger Hard Drive for XP than 98. I think XP needs a 2 GB drive. I suggest going for at least a 40 GB drive depending on what you use it for. If you are into games and downloading lusic, video, etc, go for a larger drive in the 120 GB range or bigger.
Here is the officail Microsoft system req's. You should multiply every number by 4 to get it about right.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314865

Thanks. I guess the answer is i need a technician or computer person
to tell me if i have all that. I'm not sure it'd be worth the price to hire a pro to find out, since i don't play games, etc., just do email & go on the Net.

My present unit is OK for now, i just do email & go on the Net. But i like it to be as efficient as possible for what it is. Maybe there's something i can do to tweak the speed a bit (i defragged recently but will do it again).

if you have an XP cd just pop it in the drive and run the upgrade compatability checker. or run the winnt.exe from the command line with the /checkupgradeonly switch.

there are utilities you can get which will summarise your PC specifications for you, which you could then tell us. Try something like belarc advisor or Everest home edition www.majorgeeks.com

Also, i need to replace the power strip - is there a certain sequence i need to follow in plugging the computer back in & getting the modem back up?

no, not really. Depending on your hardware and software you may need the modem to be connected and on before you boot up in order ofr it to be detected but thats all.

After this power surge the PC seems a bit slower than it was - anything i might do about this?

Hmm, doesn't sound good, i'd probably need to be sitting infront of your computer to see what was up... you might have lost some RAM or some files might be corrupt. i'm afraid my knowledge of win98 is limited.

Thanks, i got the Majorgeeks download & i have 383MB RAM & CPU speed 998.7, more than enough according to the above.

But don't i need a tech to install the new hard drive needed (again according to the above)? How much does the drive itself cost?

what size is your current hard drive? if you're upgrading to XP you'll want 4-5GB free space before you start

open your My computer Icon and right click on the icon of you hard drive, select properties from the context menu... there should be a graphic of your used and free space anlong with numbers

chkspace.jpg

If you want to add and extra hard drive its not too hard, be sure to buy a hard drive with the correct interface.. I expect your system has an IDE UDMA100 hard drive so a SATA hard drive would be no good to you but you need to check.
Then open the case, screw the drive in the the 3.5 inch cradle and connect up the second connector of the 80 conductor ribbon already connected to your first hard drive, connect a molex power connector from the PSU... from there it might get complicated, ok so it might be a little hard if you're not too exprianced with computers.

I take it you have less than 4Gb free space?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom