upgrade to xp home

Status
Not open for further replies.

laybac

Solid State Member
i would llike to upgrade to xp home from WinME. what do i need to do to my computer before i install XP home?

the best thing to do is save all your data and do a fresh install of XP. doing an upgrade can cause a lot of problems and create a mess of the operating system from files left over from the older operating system. sure its a lot of work re-installing software and backing up files, but you are preventing a lot of headaches and frustration later on.

I agree, Windows ME is one of the worst operating systems to use or upgrade from.

I have a friend's dad who bought a Compaq 1.1ghz from a friend of mine (who stole 128mb of ram from an older machine of mine and sold it with it -the a-hole.) and it had Windows ME on it. He figured it was a good deal because the old computer he was using was a Pentium 200mmx with 32 mb ram.

But anyway - he can't get rid of ME, he's formatted and reinstalled different operating systems and it just doesn't work, the computer doesn't handle anything other than Windows Me, it's a weird situation but there's nothing he can do to change it so he's pretty much stuck with it.

I'd like to state that this man Has an MCSA, and can't figure out the problem, he's also worked in computers for 30 years so it's definitely not an inexperience issue.

But yeah, Do a clean XP install and I hope you don't run in to any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom