Upgrade to XP from 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
You also need the XP cd key. You can either do the upgrade or fresh install. Upgrade keeps all the files. Fresh install requires that you save all your files. Put the CD in and a screen will pop up prompting an upgrade. There is a GUI and you just follow it.

You also need the XP cd key. You can either do the upgrade or fresh install. Upgrade keeps all the files. Fresh install requires that you save all your files. Put the CD in and a screen will pop up prompting an upgrade. There is a GUI and you just follow it.

i have the CD key and all that i was jsut wondering if there was anything different that i had to do. cuz the most ive ever done with an os is install XP from a fresh hdd and install ubuntu and partion the drive

Well you have to make sure the CD you have is a Upgrade disc not a retail or OEM disc. If it isnt a upgrade disc you cant upgrade.

Other than that to start the upgrade process start the install from within Windows 2000.

I had a CD Key but no disc, so I downloaded an XP CD from a torrent and tried to boot it. It wouldn't boot so I went into 2k and started the installation from there. It then installed XP inside 2000, leaving all of my documents and files intact (programs were still in Program Files, but since XP has a new Registry and Windows directory, they need to be deleted and reinstalled). Then you'll get a prompt on boot asking whether you want to boot XP or 2000, you can then boot XP, go into C:, delete the "WINNT" or "WIN2K" or whatever your 2000 folder was. Then do "msconfig" in the Run menu and go to boot.ini tab. You can then remove the Windows 2000 startup entry to disable the menu and boot straight to XP.

Or, if your CD boots fine, you can simply wipe the whole PC and start from scratch.

okay. i have a question, i've heard that you can use the xp install disk to install xp more than once, is this true? or do you have to buy a new copy of XP every time?

Well you have to make sure the CD you have is a Upgrade disc not a retail or OEM disc. If it isnt a upgrade disc you cant upgrade.

Other than that to start the upgrade process start the install from within Windows 2000.

you can with xp, but you can't vista. with xp you can upgrade with any version, but with the upgrade xp disc, you need another OS disc to do a fresh reinstall.

the xp upgrade option is so slick, that you can automatically download all of the windows updates if you so desire, before the install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom