Upgrade vs. Full

Status
Not open for further replies.

infiltrator7

Daemon Poster
I'm thinking of upgrading 2 computers to windows xp. one with me, and one with 2000 pro. For me, I'm going to wipe the system and start over, but for 2000 which is a stable system, can I just buy the upgrade version?

You can, but if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't. Nothing is better than a clean, fresh install of an OS. Not only that, but do you really want to have to install Windows 2k every time you want to re-install Windows XP? Its quite a bit of extra hastle if you ever need to re-install, and chances are you will need to do so at some point.

WHY DON'T PEOPLE REALISE THAT YOU CAN CLEAN INSTALL FROM AN XP UPGRADE CD!!!!

The only difference between XP Uprgrade and full is that with the upgrade, it will ask you for your ME or 2000 disk during install to verify. You can do a clean install just like you could with the full version.

beedubaya said:

The only difference between XP Uprgrade and full is that with the upgrade, it will ask you for your ME or 2000 disk during install to verify. You can do a clean install just like you could with the full version.

That's interesting, I never knew that! I always thought that you would have to install the original. That's cool.

beedubaya said:

I was just going to mention this is as well. You can very well do a clean install from the "upgrade" CD. This applies to most software so long as you can provide the old media when prompted to insert it into the CD-ROM drive.

nak...id definately start fresh cause the 2000 and the xp might clash and either way, if you have 2 windows on, the computer will be way slow. happened to me...

so I can buy two upgrade cds for the 2000 and ME, and then since i have the discs i can do a clean install? that's cool cause the upgrades cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom