upgrade to vista

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like I said, if Vista works for you, then good for you. Fact is more times than not anybody who upgrades to Vista is going to have compatability problems. For instance, if you are running an Nvidia card on an Nvidia chipset, poor Vista drivers will render gaming performance much lower than the same system running XP.

My CSS stress test results: 130 fps in XP, 78 fps in Vista.

Aquamark 3: (Yeah I know its old but its still viable in aging systems like mine) 89,000 in XP, 73,000 in Vista

F.E.A.R.: 63 fps in XP, 45 fps in Vista

I can't blame it on myself either, because I did many re-installs of the chipset drivers and video card drivers

Also, will anybody disagree with me that Vista Ultimate Extras are a complete sham? You pay $200 extra and all you get is a stupid poker game and something called "Bitlocker" which most people will never use.

On the Vista Ultimate box it says "stay on the cutting edge with Vista Ultimate Extras" and shows a screenshot of the poker game. Now that's cutting edge enough to warrant $400 for an OS!

Vista works great for me and I haven't had to work around the OS at all. It always seems like horror stories outweigh good experiences in cases like this, so you can listen to a few people whine about no drivers, no service pack blah blah blah. Look at the good stories too, look at all of the new features.

BTW a legal copy of vista is not going to cost you $400 if you know where to buy it. I got Home Premium for $65 plus shipping. I'd say that for basically the price of a video game, vista's advantages outweight its faults.

just my two cents....

BTW a legal copy of vista is not going to cost you $400 if you know where to buy it. I got Home Premium for $65 plus shipping. I'd say that for basically the price of a video game, vista's advantages outweight its faults.

just my two cents....

I'm sure you are right about that...eventually. For some of us, Vista's faults outweight its advantages at the moment. I plan on giving Vista another go after SP1 is released. By that time, the bugs should be worked out and companies will have had enough time to release good drivers. Upgrading the OS should bring increased performance, not decreased performance, and Vista for me brought decreased peformance.

I sure do miss the eye candy and the instant search feature however. I am not a Vista-basher, and I honestly will be glad when I can move to Vista and have the same functionality as I currently have in XP plus all the new stuff. That time is just not now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom