Upgrade or clean install with vista?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
I know what most people think should be done but as I have read vista upgrade is completely different than the old versions of windows. It totally cleans out everything and gives you a clean install. Does anyone care to comment on this. It takes a lot longer to do the upgrade but in the long run it would save me at least 12 or more hours of reinstalling all the software on my computer.

No it doesnt totally clean out and give you a clean install. It wouldnt be called upgrade if it did it.

It is just highly recommended to do a fresh install over a upgrade cause instead of replacing some files you get all new ones. Instead of having the new shell put on top of the old. You get the whole new one fresh.

So if you have any issues with XP before you get into the Upgrade you will have even more after.

I understand your thing about app re-install but you dont even know if all the apps you are using can run on Vista. So therefor you might even crash the upgrade and render your system useless.

My advise is to make a small list of apps that you are currently running. Fresh install Vista and then install the apps. In the long run you will save youself a lot of frustration. Espically since Vista doesnt like any current Firewall apps.

it deletes or overwrites the old, upgrade for vista just means it checks to make sure theres a legit xp copy there. xp is in fact completely removed and is the same difference as full version install, it just takes longer to install

with any new os, you have to rethink userhabits, its the oldschool way of thinking that if you upgrade, all the previous stuff is somehow magically still there corrupting things or possibility thereof.

for example, i can only imagine how many people, still used to older windows will remove stuff like aero interface thinking it will gain gameing performance when in fact it uses gpu and is turned off when a game is run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom