updating xp "gold"

Status
Not open for further replies.

talldude123

Banned
I am refurbishing an old PC for my friend, and jacking up the price to get a little "profit".

The system specs are:
Compaq Desktop PC
333 Mhz Pentium 2
256MB SDRAM (originally 128MB)
6.4GB HD (originally 3 GB)
Matrox Onboard Video 4MB
52X32X52 LG CD-RW (Originally 32X CD-ROM)
Windows XP "Gold" (im not going to slow it down with SP2's junk...)

Onto the problem:

When i try to update Windows through Windows Update, it shows that i have to update to either SP1 or SP2 to get all the updates.
Is there a way to be fully updated, without installing service packs?

A few months ago Microsoft decided for force users to at least have SP1 to recieve the lattest updates. Why do you not want a SP?

i dont want a service pack, because right now, the system is running beautifully, and very fast for its age.

If i install a service pack, my friend will have to suffer with a slow PC, and how can i markup the price on a slow PC?

What does SP1 give you over Gold edition?

personally, I wouldn't update it...

if all the drivers are installed and the pc is running well... then microsoft updates will only slow it down (my experience)

i thought updates also fixed windows errors, which would lead to viruses, if they werent fixed.

BTW, what is the smallest, most-lightweight antivirus?
I installed NOD32 on the PC, are there any alternatives?

Actually I found out that if your install SP1 and then you install SP2 it will really slow down your machine. However if you just went and install SP2, it will slow your machine down and the new added features and stuff but not quite as if your went SP1 to SP2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom