updating from win 98 to xp? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Software > Microsoft Windows and Software
Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2003, 08:17 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default updating from win 98 to xp?

I am currently running win 98 with no problems, but I just purchased a firewire pci card that I thought was compapible with Win 98 now it arrives and on the box it says win 98se and up. so i was thinking maybe upgrade to xp but after reading a lot of the posts on this board it appears there are a lot of problems with installing xp.

would i have to format my old drive before installing and loose all of the software, settings etc. a lot of the software was freeware and i don't even know where i got it after all these years also my outlook express contacts etc would not like to lose them.

i really don't know anything about xp. i feel comfortable with win 98 and have no problems with it but need the firewire for a new sony mindv camcorder.

also the machine is 1.3 meghertz ami cpu with 512m ram on board

any advise would be appreciated.

Old 09-26-2003, 08:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via ICQ to Lostman Send a message via AIM to Lostman Send a message via Yahoo to Lostman

You can do an upgrade from 98 to XP but tests have shown that your system would be more stable if XP was installed clean.

I suggest that you back up all your needed data and install it clean.

Old 09-26-2003, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Older But Wiser

For the sake of your own sanity, Install It CLEANLY!!!
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
AMD FX-8150
16 GB Ram
ASUS GeForce 760 GTX

1TB Sata Seagate
100 Gig Maxtor Sata 7200 Rpm
ASUS DRW 24B3S7 ATA Optical
Windows 7 Home Premium
Dell E228WFP 22"
Old 09-26-2003, 11:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yeah i would do a clean install too, but if you want to do just an upgrade you can put the winXP cd in and select "test compatability" to see how your current hardware and software will be affected with ugrading to winXP. it will tell you which programs will need to be re-installed, and which hardware will need to have newer drivers to work with winXP.

winXP supports many older hardware, i'm sure if you look on the microsoft site they would have a list of compatability and/or a program to test it out.

you said you have "1.3 meghertz ami cpu with 512m " which i think you meant 1.3Ghz AMD, i would go ahead and buy winXP. my AMD 1Ghz cpu and motherboard worked flawlessly with winXP. the risk you take is extremely low in my opinion given your hardware specs.
Old 09-28-2003, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

I did the upgrade from Win98 to XP.. not a problem at all. I lost maybe a crappy antivirus program, and some other crap I didn't use anyways. But if you're like me, and goin' in for the long haul, convert your system drive to NTFS. Any others don't matter that much, but the root drive, from my experience, needs to be NTFS.
A+ Core Hardware, Software Certified (May 13 2005)
the new beast...

AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton running at 2.16 Ghz.
GeForce MX 4000 (mainly takes the load off the main system)
Creative Labs Audigy 24-bit sound.
Some Case from tigerdirect
512 MB Ultra DDR RAM.
80GB Seagate HDD
LiteOn CD-RW / DVD ROM drive.
currently looking at a litescribe drive at staples, due to its ability to label the CD shortly after being burned.
Old 09-28-2003, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Originally posted by Lostman
You can do an upgrade from 98 to XP but tests have shown that your system would be more stable if XP was installed clean.

I suggest that you back up all your needed data and install it clean.
My sugestion as well, was also going to add to make sure your system supports it. Requirements should be the same as windows 2000, 266Meg CPU or better with at least 128 meg RAM and 5 Gig HD.
A+ Certified
Network + Certified
MCP Windows 2000 Pro and Server
Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator
Old 09-30-2003, 09:35 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

back-up back-up back-up.
that's why i burn everything i download. that includes music, movies, installers... im always ready for the worst

Closed Thread