Updating Video Driver Causes Windows to not Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

trs2988

Baseband Member
I installed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on my new, custom-built PC in hopes that it would perform a little better than on my run-down Dell. Unfortunately, when I went to play, it informed me that I didn't meet the minimum requirements because my video drivers were not up to date. I've had problems with my video card and drivers before, but that's a whole other post. Anyway, back to the topic. So, uninstalled my old drivers, went to ATI's website, and downloaded the new driver. I installed it, and restarted... and once Windows got past the loading screen my monitor would go into power saver mode, and the comptuer would just sit there eternally.

I've tried toying around with Fast Write and AGP 3.0 Calibration cycle. Usually, I get one of three results.

1. The loading screen is fine. Afterwards, the monitor turns off.
2. Around the loading bar, there's all kinds of artifacts. Eventually, the keyboard caps lock, num lock, and scroll lock buttons will flash, and the artifacts will dissappear. Then the monitor turns off.
3. The artifacts never disappear (even though the keyboard does flash), and then the monitor turns off.

As I was sitting here typing this, I made a discovery. I turned off Fast Write but left the Calibration Cycle on. A little while after my monitor went into power saver mode, it came back on. Guess what? BSOD!

File: ati2mtag.sys
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

** STOP: 0x00000050 (0xB2FFFFFC, 0x00000000, 0xF73E3AF4, 0x00000000)

** ati2mtag.sys - Address F73E3AF4 base at F73E1000, DateStamp 40a6d4e3

That's a summary of the BSOD, because telling you the whole thing is like telling you every part of a form letter.

So... what to do? How can I fix this? I can still boot into Windows using "Last Known Good Configuration," but that doesn't help much with the game. I'll be willing to try just about anything short of reformating my hard drive or throwing my computer out the window. :mad:

KOTOR said that it needed at least Catalyst 3.8. So I installed the Catalyst 3.8 drivers, and KOTOR still said it wasn't meeting the requirements. Then, I tried the ATI drivers from Windows Update. Same deal. Then I tried the 4.4 drivers from ATI. This time, I noticed something new. Before I changed the resolution, it passes the KOTOR test, but only says it can't read the VRAM. After I change the resolution it fails it. Even if I change it back, it still fails it.

Lastly, I tried the Omega drivers. This time, wouldn't get past Windows XP boot screen.

I'm reserving reformating for a last attempt, and that's if I do decide that I want to play KOTOR that much.

I got it to work. For some reason, the problem is only with the Catalyst 4.6 drivers. I installed 4.5 and there are no problems. That solved the booting problem. Then, I enabled Fast Writes in my BIOS. Now KOTOR is happy, and that means I'm happy.

Thanks for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom