updating new system

XWrench3

Daemon Poster
ok, my new system is up and running. i guess before i go any further, i should give specs. intel i5 6500 6th gen, msi csm b150m pro-vhl. today, i am in the process of doing as much software updating as i can. i have been to the intel website, and downloaded the 2 updates they had for my processor first. so next i was going to go (and did) to the realtek website to update drivers for my sound and lan. but they referred me back to the motherboard mfgr. for the latest drivers. which is MSi. so, i am at their website, and the first driver they list is for "on board SATA and AHCI/RAID drivers. ( version 14.5.0.1081) which is also labeled intel rapid storage technology driver. and there in causes me to stop and ask. the first download at intel was "intel management engine", driver 11.0.10.1002. and before i have 2 drivers walk all over each other, i want to make sure that there is not going to be a clash of the titans so to speak. there are a slew of drivers listed on the msi site as well https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/CSM-B150M-PRO-VHL.html#down-bios should i go into the bios, and see what is already installed before downloading and installing something i may not need. also, there was a screen that came up last night that was an "auto updater" from msi. i have not been in the bios as of yet. actually, i will head in there while i wait for a response form one of you guys. i hate few thigs in life. but waiting for the sake of waiting is one of them.

p.s. one of the things that really poked me in the rear to get me moving on this was i had the computer lock up while streaming a video. since nothing was hot, and the system fired back up, i figured some kind of software was clashing along the way. // i was in bios, but it was pretty overwhelming. i did not see much in the way of files that matched what was on the msi website. i am running the msi live update tool, which is in the process of downloading several (I didnt count, but more than 8 and less than 12) updates. now i just have to pay attention to make sure they get installed.

well, here is a fine kettle of fish. 6 day old, sitting in the hot sun kettle of rotting fish. the automatic update program does not work in windows 10. great, but i can handle installing them manually, i think. so i am taking to the guy at msi, after 2 calls, and 15minutes of on hold time, it turns out that the entire drivers page for my board is messed up. so he took me to the global website. there they have a similar board, that is supposed to use the same drivers. so i download the first one, which is a bios update, and my computer can not open the file. it searched for an app, but apparently the file is in a "120 format"? and it could not find a file to open it. so then i go back to the global site to download another driver, and all of them are now gone. i give up. i will try again next week. this kind of thing takes days if not weeks off from my life. and at this stage of the game, i can not afford any more of that.

If it runs and everything works don't fix what ain't broke. Seriously, it's not like you need bleeding edge performance from everything for gaming. You don't need audio or LAN drives if you can hear from your speakers and connect to the internet. You don't need a bios update if everything is running smoothly. You don't need SATA/RAID drivers because the default stuff in Windows 10 is fine.

If anything the ONLY thing you'd need is an INF file from Intel which is basically a chipset driver. And/or the IGP driver which more than likely will be downloaded by Windows 10 automatically. Since I had no issue getting to the website to get the drivers I upped them for you to easily get.

Chipset
VGA

Don't stress out over so many small things. If it works, shrug it off. Seriously, I can't stress this enough over computers. I went to a friend's house for a small LAN. Played for a couple of hours, installed an old game that requires some work to get going. Went to launch and PC froze on a white screen. Smelled some minor burning smell. Figured what the hell, this game from like 03 shouldn't rek my PC. Turns out I had a small leak from my loop and a tiny puddle on my SSD. No big deal, cleaned it up and continued on. The leak was so slow that I placed a napkin on the SSD and the napkin dried before the next drip hit due to airflow and heat. Literally left it that way for 3 weeks. I see so many people get frustrated too easily with PC stuff like they're trying to install a turbo to a car. It's not that complicated and nothing to get worked up over.

Don't stress out over so many small things.
the problem with that is when you don't know. i dont know how important having the latest drivers are. or how often i should even check. once a year? every 3 years? or only when i have problems? i did got to Intel and did 2 driver updates. one was for the chipset. and the other was a management one. that one sounded like it was a pretty big deal, and it was a LOT larger in size than the chipset one. since i did them, yes, the computer runs with no issues. except this morning. it would not start. at all. i worked on it for about 6 hours. several times i thought i had it fixed, only to slide it back in place and it would not start again. unplug all the cables, walk it to the workbench, and it would fire right up. every time. i tried different power cords (3!) and different 110v outlets. fail. but when i used a different power cord (one of the 3 previously tested) AND a different outlet, it was cured. don't know how or why. and i really do not care. as long as it keeps working.

awe @$%&*;( i just discovered a new problem. my dvd drive runs, but is not installing software anymore. it transfers data into the machine. i see that by the green bar as the data is pulled off the disc. but the disc just keeps spinning and spinning, and the green bar goes all the way to the end, then starts all over. i tried changing the settings, so it would automatically install programs. but that makes no difference. also, the drive is only recognized as a CD-ROM, rather than a dvd burner. i am not even going to start in about the lightscribe issue. next month i will just order a new drive. but i am out of expendable $ for this month. not to mention it would be another week in shipping. i did find online @ cnet download.com what is supposed to be a driver for this drive. http://files.downloadnow.com/s/soft...ame=LightScribeTemplateLabeler_1.18.27.10.exe but when i tried to install it, i got a pop up saying that my system is not adequate to run it. which makes no sense to me. it ran in Vista just fine, with a core2duo, and 2gb of ram.

More than likely the drivers you installed don't like the fact that you're converting an old IDE drive to SATA. That's why I said what I said above. IME isn't really a big deal. When I first moved to SB-E in 2012 I didn't use IME for 2.5 maybe 3 years. Wasn't until I decided to try and fix my Windows 8.1 issue that I figured out what the problem was with my machine, it needed IME. Now that I'm on 10 I don't use it again, but it was board specific to my old ASRock X79.

well, i guess that means no Microsoft Flight Simulator until the second week of next month. i wonder if that adapter would work in Windows 7. my daughters computer (that is not yet back in place) has a sata dvd drive. i dont know if its a burner or not. but at this point, i guess i really dont care. and if its not, for the $12.00 - $18.00 or so, it would be a nice way of paying her back. the only problem is i will have to dig my computer back out from under my desk.

Back
Top Bottom