update problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nukem

Where am I again?
I recently updated a system and loaded it with windows XP Pro. it's an INTEL 3.2 Northwood, with an MSI mobo. everything is fine until I get to the very next update past SP2. I can't remember the update number but it's for smaller downloads, windows installer 3.1, etc... anywho.. once I try to D/L it the system freaks out and shuts down. it downloads the programs, but once it tries to install it... Poof, shut down?

I've checked all the obvious stuff. shorts, loose connects, etc... I got nothing. I have loaded the OS twice and it faults at the same place... I've even thought of incompatibility, but I've used the parts previous with the old board. now the only thing I have added is the mobo and an AGP GPU, since it does not have onboard. I'm at a lose as to what the problem might be.. I've swapped out the AGP card, and still nothing.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get the stuff I've tried out of the way.

that should have it post an error instead of restarting. then post the error back here.

1.Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2.Click the Advanced tab.

3.Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4.Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5.Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Nope... it's legit... and I'll do the above once I get back ontot the system... I have a bunch of projects going on at once...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom