Unusual random load times

Status
Not open for further replies.

Outhouse

Solid State Member
Howdy, i have a few problems which im pretty sure are all intertwined because they all started happening at once.
Programs that i haven't used for a while will take a few minutes to load. This includes exe files such as game updates and for the game updates it seems that the bigger the exe file the longer it takes to load. However once i have loaded it the next time i run it it will load up quickly. The programs still load up quickly even if i restart/turn off comp :S.
The result of this is that when i play CS:S i get huge choke and then i drop out and Steam shuts down. Generally the more times i reload steam the longer it takes to shutdown or for me to drop out. I have no idea what is going on and i have done the obvious things like defragging and regmechanic.
I had this problem before and formatted and it was all working sweet for a while and then suddenly one day it started again.
The only major difference the last two formats had were i started using NTFS file system for windows. I thought the problem could be that i had mixed partitions of NTFS and FAT32 on the one HD however that HD is all NTFS now and im still continuing to have the same problem.

What are the rest of your system components.

How much RAM do you have?

What is your Pagefile set to? (Virtual Memory)

How many running processes do you have?

List any and all Anti Virus/ Anti Spyware programs you have running.

Whens the last time you defragmented your Harddrive?

OK i'm running windows XP PRO on a
Athlon 2600+
1.5 gig of ram
Radeon 9800 PRO
WD 200G HD (OS installed on it)
WD 60G HD
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
LiteON DVD burner
pagefile set to min 2048, max 4096
Defragged yesterday
I run AVG and ZoneAlarm PRO and i have scanned for ad-aware and spyware with no results (other than cookies) using spybot and ad-aware SE personal
I've also used msconfig to run windows with no programs at start up and it still happens...
The 200G HD is practically brand new and so is 1GIG of the 1.5GIG of the ram, ive tried running XP on just SP1 or SP2 and it still happens...

i've given up, formatted my comp, seems to be ok atm, i figured out that i had a really high page fault/sec ratio, so somewhere along the lines, it was writing to memory and it had to use my Hard drive alot....couldnt figure out how to fix it so i formatted

Outhouse said:
i've given up, formatted my comp, seems to be ok atm, i figured out that i had a really high page fault/sec ratio, so somewhere along the lines, it was writing to memory and it had to use my Hard drive alot....couldnt figure out how to fix it so i formatted

well thats one way of doing it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom