Unregistered Dell XP reinstall disk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcrobot

In Runtime
Hey ya'll,

One of my friends is selling me an unregistered Dell Windows XP Home reinstall disk. He used it to install Windows XP Home on his build, but he uninstalled it before registration. It only has SP1a, but he's selling it for only $55. Is it worth it?

Thanks!

Warez is asking that question because if you do not have a Dell that CD is worthless!!!!! There is no serial number for activation purposes and it can only be used on a Dell proprietary puter.

No, I do not have Dell.
The cd has a COA on it, and it's a reinstall disk.
Can I use it?

EDIT: Actually the COA is not on the cd, it's on the cd case I think. :D

When I hit "this" in your post I go nowhere. The Certicate of Authenticity will do you no good. Do you see a serial number? I would think not. Dell OS cd's can only be used on a Dell. Look...you can buy an OEM verision of XP pro for about $130 +/-.
I think you are about to give your friend an early Christmas present of $50. :0

Link fixed.
Where would a serial number be? I see a number on a sticker after DP/N and a number after a US. Also, there's a number on the cd after P/N.
Would any of those be the serial number?

EDIT: Also, on the manual, it says:
The COA contains the product code, which might be required to complete the OS setup.

I don't see any mention of a Serial number... the manual says all you need is: the COA, pen or pencil, Internet info, and home network info.

Serial number should be like: 16 digints: Nyytt g6ggy xx7y7 mcmct lg67y (this is only a random example). It should say serial number on the holographic CD icon on the CD cover. Look.....lets make this simple. Tell your friend....bring over the CD. If it installs and I can activate it I'll buy it. If I get the message "for use only with a Dell computer" at setup say, "no thanks".......OK?

Download RockXP and it will tell you the serial number

Also, I think there is some kind of code on the cd or maybe a file inside the cd that checks if its on a Dell or not. What I have done is ripped the cd to my hdd and ripped another version of XP to my hdd and compared them. I took out the few un-needed files and it worked. The only this will not work is if its an image, which of course, needs to be on the computer it was imaged on because of hardware requirements with drivers, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom