"Unmounted_boot_volume" error

Status
Not open for further replies.

zig2217

Solid State Member
I recently purchased a Dell XPS Gen 2, and have had no problems with it...until now. I have done some research online to try and fix this problem, but would like to get the advice from the tech-forum members.

When I boot up my laptop, it gets to the point of starting XP Pro, but makes it about half way and arrives at the blue screen of death. I tried booting in safe mode, last known good config, and normal mode, but i still get this error:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

***STOP: 0X000000ED (Ox086722710, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

It tells me to make sure all hardware and software that has recently been installed is installed correctly. I havent installed any, but I did turn off my computer w/out properly shutting it down by accident. I'm sure this caused the problem, but am not sure a sure-fire way of fixing this problem. All solution recommendations will be appreciated. Thanks.

sorry...as u can tell, im still learning...what does sig mean? and im trying to steer clear of reinstalling the OS.

see all the links under my picture. See where it says "How to do a Repair install". Click it and follow the instructions

now it wont even let me boot from my win XP pro disk....i changed the boot sequence and it goes right back to the same process it was before.

Re:

Wait wait wait...

I wouldn't go straight to doing a 'Windows XP Repair Installation' yet...

...you'll want to do a chkdsk /r first, on your Hard Drive...then see if it boots up. You can do this in the Windows XP Recovery Console with the command line interface, accessible using your Windows XP Setup Disc.

This error can occur when you've got bad sectors on your Hard Drive, or when your boot.ini file is corrupt. Doing a check on your disk will only fix the first possible issue, but a corrupt boot.ini will require you to rewrite the boot.ini file, again using the Windows XP Recovery Console.

If you are sure that a corrupt boot.ini file is causing this error message, then you'll have to do a FIXMBR command in the Recovery Console to fix the master boot record. Alternatively, you can try rewriting the boot.ini file using the FIXBOOT command. Only do this if you are sure that your boot record is corrupt.

You'll need to be able to boot into your CD-ROM Drive first, in order to access your Windows XP Setup CD. Make sure you've set your CD-ROM drive as the primary boot device in BIOS.

well...i ended up running the chkdsk /r int he recovery console (somehow got my win XP pro CD to boot up the computer), and it worked like a charm. didnt need to reformat or do anything else too intense to the OS. thanks for the replies. this will come in handy when my friends have this problem arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom