"unlock computer" message

Status
Not open for further replies.

djk2450

Solid State Member
i have a homemade antec case with an ecs MB and amd x2 3800 cpu, 2gb 5300 memory and hitachi 250 gb HD. it has xp sp2 installed and has been running rather well. the machine has trend micro installed and on auto update; xp is also set on auto update. i use this box about once a week for a couple of days while i am at my mother's house to visit her and do chores. about a month ago, i started getting this "unlock computer" message to appear on the screen whenever i move the mouse and wake the monitor up. it is not a security issue, as i just punch OK and it goes to screen saver. it is just a pain in the caboose, as i don't want it or need it. it is my box and no one but myself and my wife use it. could an xp update have changed anything? has anyone else had this occur to their equipment? i know that certain questions cannot be answered in forums because of security issues, but this is not how to bypass the screen; only to see if someone else has had this problem. i really don't want to go back 3 months or so and restore to see if this fixes it, but......

thank you for reading this post.

dan

the os is xp home and i installed it with an authentic ms cd. the box was doing fine after i put it together, but a few months later, i assume through an automatic update, it started opening to this "unlock computer" window that has to be clicked on to go to the screensaver. i don't even need a password. i never set it up for a password. it isn't even xp pro; i would expect a lock for that. it is just a bit maddening to have to go through added steps to use the box when they are not required.

thanks again.

go to control panel , user accounts and select the welcome screen.
go to display properties, screensaver tab and uncheck on resume password protect

I would also try installing the service packs for net framework 1.1

thanks for the reply. i am back at my "other" home for now, but i will do as you suggest next week. i am hoping it is something simple, as i am not well versed on the tech side; always expecting the sky to fall when it drizzles. learning computers was my VA project, but you can only teach an old goat-ropin' hippie so much; i do simpler things much better. thanks again.

POW/MIA.....never forget, never again!

installing net framework 1.1 through updates will stop you from automatically logging on. netware software will too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom