Uninstalling Windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can install two versions as long as they are in separate directories, ie c:\windows and c:\windows1
To get rid of the second one, you will need to boot the system with a recovery disc of some sort, and delete the windows dir that has the info in it. Then you will need to take out the second entry in the boot.ini file to allow the system to use only one.

My dad also has 2 WinXP's

If the first WinXP is on the first partiton and the 2nd on another partition you have to format one of them. Say WindowsXP1 is on C:/ and WindowsXP2 is on d:/ and you want to get rid of WindowsXP2: just boot WindowsXP1, get in DOS and type 'format d:'.
It should work fine, but you loose all data on d:/

If this doesn't work you can download Partition Magic or some other partitioning app and make some boot disks and try formatting from there.

After formatting one of the partition you probably have to reconfigure your boot.ini file, unless the second Windows has dissapeard from your boot menu.

The boot.ini file is located on the drive where Windows is installed and it looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WINDOWS1" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WINDOWS2" /fastdetect

Open the boot.ini file with notepad and delete the following line(s) (assuming the Windows you removed was on that partition)

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="WINDOWS2" /fastdetect

Save it and reboot, the bootmenu shouldn't popup anymore. If it still does, remove the following line(s) also:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="WINDOWS1" /fastdetect

Ask me for more info!
(don't know how to do it with 2 windows on 1 partition, think it doesn't work)
Please correct me if I'm wrong guys.

You can also do it to recover a system, or if you don't want to recover, but keep all you data. Works thet same, you just don't have the programs and things you once did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom